Disinfectant - BioPhene vs. Oxine? Which is effective and easy to use?

PakehaCherie

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Northern California
Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestions on a disinfectant I can use to disinfect waters, feeders, coops, etc....perferrably, one that I can spray and walk away (no rinsing, safe around chickens).
I have used Oxine for a long time (in a garden spayer) but was suddenly concerned about whether or not I was using it correctly - the bottle says it must be used with an acid (gadzooks), and I have NEVER done that while using it....I wonder if I have ever disinfected anything??? Haha.

In any case, I was thinking about switching to Tektrol, but the feed store rep suggested BioPhene as a better product (and cheaper). After readig the instructions, I wondered if this product might be too complicated to use....uggg.

Help! What do you use? What is easiest?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

--PC

I have never used BioPhene - but I do use Oxine and I LOVE it!!

it is a bit pricey but simple to use and safe - I can (and have) spray it directly on the chickens with no ill effects. In fact they reccomend that you use it to spray them for bacterial infections.

I use a 1 gallon weed sprayer from Lowes (12 bucks) and mix it per directions - 6 oz. of Oxine to 1 gallon of water. I use the weed sprayer for the coop - for directly on chickens you can pour some out of the weed sprayer into a "plant mister" type of spray bottle and use that. (it might be 6.5 oz of oxine, can't quite recall)

adding the other ingredient is only if you have Avian Flu - it is too toxic to use that way for every day (or monthly, etc...) use and is not reccomended for that. The added ingredient/activator is mainly for places that house thousands of chickens, like the big factory farms.

meri

Last edited:
Well, I'm hoping Oxine
big_smile.png
I just ordered some after reading about it, and seeing some posts on here...

I found a little can of it at the feed store. I think I read in the can to remove food and water. I don't think this is the kind I can use on chickens? It was with the chicken stuff. Is this just for the coop? Do you know anything about this?

Oxine works just fine without the activator. We have the activator just in case, but haven't used it yet. If it's safe enough for humans to drink, it's safe enough for my chickens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom