Disinfecting Coop/Run/Yard

rikkiv13

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2023
Hello. I am looking at Oxine AH or Varkin S to disinfect my coop/run/yard. I am not sure of the drying time and or if it needs to be rinsed off. I lost one chicken suddenly over the weekend with no symptoms and another one this morning has started limping. She has been gasping and sneezing here recently and I thought it was gapeworm so I am giving her safegard dewormer but it doesnt seem to be clearing it up. I thought maybe coccidia and gave corid but not that either. The other option I have is to use denegard but I dont want to give my whole flock denegard if its not necessary. Any help on what to do for her or if culling is whats needed? Also what disinfectant to use as I have 2 dogs and chickens (obviously) and some chickens that need to go outside. The other chickens I have are doing fine, none showing symptoms or anythign so I am at a loss.

Gapeworm is very rare.
Neither gapeworm or coccidiosis causes sneezing. It sounds like a respiratory infection or issue.
The limping could be injury or deficiency from the corid.
It's almost impossible to sterilize your yard unless u ou burn everything and it's not at all necessary.
Stop both meds and start from the beginning.
When did she start these symptoms?
Age? Diet?

Gapeworm is very rare.
Neither gapeworm or coccidiosis causes sneezing. It sounds like a respiratory infection or issue.
The limping could be injury or deficiency from the corid.
It's almost impossible to sterilize your yard unless u ou burn everything and it's not at all necessary.
Stop both meds and start from the beginning.
When did she start these symptoms?
Age? Diet?
I gave denegard a while ago and it helped but then came back. She is 5 months old. The sneezing started at the end of June and I have been doing an array of medications. She was getting grower feed as I had moved some older chicks into the run but now she has been switched to kalbauch layer feed.

I gave denegard a while ago and it helped but then came back. She is 5 months old. The sneezing started at the end of June and I have been doing an array of medications. She was getting grower feed as I had moved some older chicks into the run but now she has been switched to kalbauch layer feed.
What all have you given her and what doses?

What all have you given her and what doses?
Corid 2tsp per gallon, they have a 2 gallon waterer so 4 tsp. Denegard 1 tbsp per gallon so 2tbsp for 2 gallon. Safeguard dewarmer a pea sized amount on my finger put directly into the mouth. I looked at my camera and between 7 last night and this morning this happened. She was walking around fine yesterday. But still gasping and sneezing.

Corid 2tsp per gallon, they have a 2 gallon waterer so 4 tsp. Denegard 1 tbsp per gallon so 2tbsp for 2 gallon. Safeguard dewarmer a pea sized amount on my finger put directly into the mouth. I looked at my camera and between 7 last night and this morning this happened. She was walking around fine yesterday. But still gasping and sneezing.
Thanks.
The corid is unnecessary for this but I won't hurt her that she had some.
Denegard only treats Mycoplasma, but not an infection or virus, so it's likely one if those.
Safeguard has to be given in more precise dosages, the pea sized dose usually doesn't give the right amount ans everyone would have to be treated for worms if they were present.
It could be an environmental trigger, such as ammonia fumes from improper ventilation, pollen, dust from dust bathing feed dust, pesticides, excessive dander, mold or fungus inside coop, use of DE. Here's a link showing respiratory diseases that cause sneezing.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

She does it all the time not just when she is eating so its baffling me. I can try to give her denagard and do a round for everyone but as of right now she is the only one with an issue and has been. I am not sure what got my cream legbar as she showed no signs or symptoms.

She does it all the time not just when she is eating so its baffling me. I can try to give her denagard and do a round for everyone but as of right now she is the only one with an issue and has been. I am not sure what got my cream legbar as she showed no signs or symptoms.
Denegard won't treat this problem, I didn't realize it didn't put "*not one of those ", I'm sorry.
By gasping, is she adjust her crop or wheezing?

Back
Top Bottom