Disinfecting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeadHen, Jul 21, 2008.

1. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I don't have access to commercial poultry disinfectants and my birds are coming this week. Does anyone know what I should use to disinfect the chicks area before they arrive? I want to make it sanitary, but safe for my birds.

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I like to use vinegar for my main disinfectant. Have you had birds there before? I'm not sure if vinegar is strong enough if you had disease in that space before, but it seems to take care of most issues at my house, and it's totally safe to use around animals.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    If you want to buy something, you could try the Green Works line from Clorox. That's not dangerous to pets or kids. My husband, Mr Watchful, somehow managed to 'let' the boys drink/spray/play in half a bottle of the all purpose cleaner. After talking to Poison Control for 15 minutes on Mother's Day, I just needed to give them some orange juice, since the cleaner will screw with your blood sugar level and ph. But it's strong enough to clean stuff really well... It's worth a shot, I suppose.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use bleach and water to disenfect my waterers and feeders. I fill the waterer up with water, and then add about 1/4 cup bleach, and let it sit overnight. Then I rinse, rinse, and rinse with hot water.

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I was wondering this too. Anyone know if a 1/10 bleach solution would work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by