Dislocated Beak / Beak Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmlongino, Jun 12, 2009.

1. I wonder if it wasn't always there, and just got much worse? Looking at the beak, I see no way it could have lined up as it should have. Even with trying to imagine the beak being moved back and forward, or up and down, just doesn't seem possible to me that it would match up.

I'm sorry to say, but I think culling is going to be the best thing for this gal. Especially if she's already going down hill by not getting enough to eat. And if it is genetic, you wouldn't want to hatch any of her eggs.

As to method of culling... eeekkk. I haven't had to yet! I have a feeling DH would be doing it for me, or my Dad. It wouldn't be beyond me to take it to the vet to have them do it either! That's what I usually do with any other animal.

HUGS! And I'm sorry.

2. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    So sorry..<sigh>..

3. hurleygirlie05

hurleygirlie05 In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    I have a similar situation but it is with a chick. Any advice or input?

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Jeni

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Quote:That looks like cross beak. But as big as she is, I may be wrong. I'm new to cross beak myself. I've got a two week chick with cross beak, but it's getting worse.

5. cestsibon

cestsibon Hatching

Jan 17, 2012
    About your chick with a dislocated beak. Found same problem with one of my chicks. Tried to re-locate beak but couldn't. Perhaps I did not do the right manouevre. (spelling?) Did anyone come up with a solution? Please reply very soon as I will have to put her down. Cestsibon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: