Dislocated elbow?

purposedriven24

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2023
Hi everyone! I'm new to owning chickens, and to this forum.
A week ago I noticed one of my hens pretty lethargic, holding up her foot and hopping on the other foot. I removed her from the flock, and have had her in a kennel in my bathroom for some extra care and supervision. I couldn't see any injuries other then swelling in her elbow, and have been giving her epsom soaks, and applying homeopathic oil to the elbow. There has been a huge improvement in her behavior, but she still is not putting weight on her foot. This morning as I was massaging in the oil I noticed an odd bump on the inside of her elbow. Could this be a dislocated joint? If it is, is this something I can fix myself?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231117_121533.jpg
    20231117_121533.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20231117_121745.jpg
    20231117_121745.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 8
It could be a swollen joint from a bad sprain. Is there any swelling in the ankle? Resting the leg and avoiding jumping might help if there is not a lot of damage. Anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin 81 mg twice a day for 3 days, or a vet-prescribed meloxicam might help. I would separate her inside a wire dog crate with food and water, but kept with the other chickens.

It could be a swollen joint from a bad sprain. Is there any swelling in the ankle? Resting the leg and avoiding jumping might help if there is not a lot of damage. Anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin 81 mg twice a day for 3 days, or a vet-prescribed meloxicam might help. I would separate her inside a wire dog crate with food and water, but kept with the other chickens.
There is no swelling in her ankle, and her foot looks fine. I will pick up some aspirin. Thank you! Unfortunately I can't keep her with the rest of the flock, as they are in my parents coop for winter.

Back
Top Bottom