Dislocated Hip?? and Wonky Chick

Update. Mary Lou is well on her way to recovery. Totally walking again (still a little funny) but almost back to normal.

I ended up putting Midget down today. She was still eating and drinking, and sort of maintaining weight, but she continued to stand around or sleep all day. No real chicken activity. She also started the weird "dizzy" thing again. I thought it was best to not let her suffer. I did open her up and her liver and insides looked totally normal. She was thin in the breast, but not too thin. and she had quite a bit of fat around her gizzard and under her skin (which is expected since she was half freedom ranger). Anyway she looked normal except she smelled like maple syrup . I started a new thread to see if anyone else has experianced this. I had an old hen die last week too and she smelled like maple syrup too. (her insides looked fine as well) https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dying-dead-chickens-smelling-like-maple-syrup.1556937/

Update. Mary Lou is well on her way to recovery. Totally walking again (still a little funny) but almost back to normal.

I ended up putting Midget down today. She was still eating and drinking, and sort of maintaining weight, but she continued to stand around or sleep all day. No real chicken activity. She also started the weird "dizzy" thing again. I thought it was best to not let her suffer. I did open her up and her liver and insides looked totally normal. She was thin in the breast, but not too thin. and she had quite a bit of fat around her gizzard and under her skin (which is expected since she was half freedom ranger). Anyway she looked normal except she smelled like maple syrup . I started a new thread to see if anyone else has experianced this. I had an old hen die last week too and she smelled like maple syrup too. (her insides looked fine as well) https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dying-dead-chickens-smelling-like-maple-syrup.1556937/
I wonder if that means she was diabetic.

I wonder if that means she was diabetic.
Hmm that would be interesting. I didnt even think about something like that. Now I wish I would have tried some sugar or something. She was getting Nutridrench and rooster booster. I also started giving her a bit of colloidal silver. Nothing seemed to make a difference. She didn't get worse or better. Poor thing was just blah

Hmm that would be interesting. I didnt even think about something like that. Now I wish I would have tried some sugar or something. She was getting Nutridrench and rooster booster. I also started giving her a bit of colloidal silver. Nothing seemed to make a difference. She didn't get worse or better. Poor thing was just blah
I'm so sorry that you had to cull her 😢

Back
Top Bottom