Dismal hatch attempt. One trying, helped it but its bleeding and cant open the membrane.

laurelmtnlover

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 22, 2010
What more can I say? No other egg is piped and hatch day was supposedly Saturday. About nine Deleware eggs. All had candled pretty good then when still about the 19th day. I'm feeling pretty low. And inept. Anyone? It has been 24 hours since the one chick broke through. It seems to my inexperienced eye that the beak is not up at the air pocket. What to do?

It can take longer then 21 dyas due to many variables maybe up to even 5-7 extra days, do not try and help them hatch, leave them alone. The bleeding means it wasn't ready to be hatched. they sometimes pip the shell and sit in their for awhile absorbing the egg yolk and even after that they can take awhile to hatch they can rest a lot while hatching. Make sure the humidty is up close the lid and. Leave them alone. If you keep opening the lid the humidity will be let out and then none will hatch.

It is still alive and looks like it may make it. I'll take your advice and a hard lesson learned. Thanks.

I had to intervene. I believe the beak was not up in the air pocket and then my mistake was to help it along, but having done so I had to continue. I broke some of the shell, but another mistake was that I broke the bottom, therefore it couldn't push with its legs. I just peeled the top off now without incident and it is out. Breathing but tired. What does a newly hatched chick act like. Is this normal. Like I said, lesson learned.

the beak is under their wing, chicks don't really stretch out their necks and stick their faces in the air pocket the head stays sort of under the wing if you look at pictures or drawings of hatching eggs you will see what I mean. I can take them awhile to move around after they hatch they are tired, but an important part of hatching is them kicking and rotating out of the shell it makes them strong and makes their bones in the right places. Watch the chick very closely for leg deformities, curled toes etc.

I had to intervene. I believe the beak was not up in the air pocket and then my mistake was to help it along, but having done so I had to continue. I broke some of the shell, but another mistake was that I broke the bottom, therefore it couldn't push with its legs. I just peeled the top off now without incident and it is out. Breathing but tired. What does a newly hatched chick act like. Is this normal. Like I said, lesson learned.

yes it's normal...they are very tired when they come out..especially the ones you have to help!

Back
Top Bottom