Disoriented duck

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jchantecler, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Just an odd story. On thursday, my male runner duck disappeared. I assumed it was an owl attack and that I would probably never see him again. However, just this morning, I was taking walk past our vineyard and our windbreaks to our pasture about 500 feet away, and there was my duck. Perfectly fine besides a few missing feathers. It was much farther than he would stray, and when I brought him back, he was overjoyed to see his flock. I assume an owl dropped him, but it's quite odd. Maybe he was chased. I'm just happy he's back.

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Glad you got him back and unharmed. [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had that happen last year. My favorite duck vanished without a trace. I thought she was done. She showed up the next day with not a feather out of place, but she came from an unusual direction. I wondered at the time if she was chased by something and managed to avoid being caught.

Glad your duck came back. It's such a relief when they just pop up out of nowhere when you've already written them off. I didn't know whether to hug my duck or strangle her for worrying me so badly. She got a stern lecture about the dangers of staying out past curfew instead.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by