Disoriented hen?

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
Hi friends,

I have a hen that I picked up earlier today ( just cause she was next to me and I always pick them up if they let me for pets and attention) well this one seemed very light in weight so I immediately felt her crop which was empty. Completely flat. Her breast bone isn't very prominent so she hasn't lost weight but I'm certain she hasn't eaten as of noon today. I gave her some dry cat food ( their favorite snack) and she went for it but kept missing it like she couldn't see it. She went to scratch to look for her food but she was unsteady and stumbled and would've fell off the table if I wasn't standing there to catch her. I brought her in the house and gave her some water with vitamins and electrolytes and tuna. She didn't seem interested so I used a syringe. She slept in my lap a while and when I put the bowl of water in front of her she was more eager but instead of just lowering her head and drinking she stretched her neck out dunked half of her gave in and drank like her motor skills where off and she'd still miss the bowl completely at times as well. Same with the bowl of tuna, shed get the water not really and food. She seems to be losing a good amount of feathers as well. Could she just be going through a seasonal molt? She sure seems to want to sleep a lot.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Update: she walked up and stood next to me just fine (or if she wasn't fine it wasn't too noticeable until I brought her in the barn and set her on the table where I gave her cat food) she spent most of the day after that on my lap sleeping but I had to get up so I put her in a box with her food and water which she went for on her own. I made her a spot in our wood stove room where she can sleep in her box of hay, walk around if she wants and has food and water. I set her on the floor while I was setting it up and she was very unsteady like it was her first day on legs and she layed right back down. She did poop a couple times though it was green and watery (she has been drinking a LOT of water)

I have a hen that I picked up earlier today ( just cause she was next to me and I always pick them up if they let me for pets and attention) well this one seemed very light in weight so I immediately felt her crop which was empty. Completely flat.

I gave her some dry cat food ( their favorite snack) and she went for it but kept missing it like she couldn't see it. She went to scratch to look for her food but she was unsteady and stumbled and would've fell off the table if I wasn't standing there to catch her. I brought her in the house and gave her some water with vitamins and electrolytes and tuna.
Photos of her and her poop?

Drinking LOTS of water, even if the crop is empty, drinking a lot suggests some type of digestive problem - if not the crop, then perhaps a blockage or partial blockage.
Provide her water and wet mushy feed free choice. Give her 1tsp coconut oil twice day. Smell her breath, any odors? Look inside the beak, any lesions, yellow or white pasty material?

When was her last egg?
Is she molting or not, I'm not quite clear about this.

Back
Top Bottom