dispatched a skunk tonight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Winsor Woods, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    I was in bed and just about to fall asleep when I heard a racket outside. After getting my glasses, shoes and flashlight, I finally found the bold critter. A striped skunk trying to get at my laying flock. I went back in and got my .22 and then waited for a safe shot. (I need to get night sights because it was so hard to see. Once I had the right shot, I put him down in short order. Then I went and got the respirator and face shield and skinned my first skunk, avoiding those nasty scent glands at the base of the tail. I almost sliced through them but caught the mistake in time to save disaster. I saved the head but I'm not sure there is enough brain matter left for tanning the hide. (Head-shot cleared out a considerable amount.) DW made me stop at the door and pass the "sniff test" before she let me back in the house [​IMG]

The pelt is remarkably odor free and is resting in the fridge (not the one we use for our food, its a small college fridge that we use for avian supplies.) until the morning when I'll worry about tanning it. Thought it might make a nice hat similar to a coon-skin cap. Now that's a conversation piece.
    Dan

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] Glad you got the stinker and the girls are safe !!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am sorry buit I am seeing this whole scenario in my head and cant stop laughing.. So glad you girls are safe .. Hey maybe you could make some chickens saddles out of that sucker .. Might keep some other preds at bay...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    JUST BE CAREFUL! Skunks are notorious carriers of rabies, and if you should get even a tiny amount of saliva on an open wound while you are skinning one, you are likely infected. Rabies is incurable, and always fatal. There is a vaccine that can be administered after an exposure. It's a series of expensive shots, and is very effective. However, it's best to avoid exposure entirely.

5. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I didn't know skunk pelts were used for any thing. Pee-u. [​IMG] We have been having them here every night. Hubby shoots them and more come to the funeral. They set up housekeeping under my chicken coop of all places. I don't think I would wear any thing skunky, lol

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j True BYC Addict

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Next one you get, if you can keep the head intact and not do too much damage to the body, you need to stuff it and mount it on a remote control car. Someone had one at a swap meet we went to once. Walking along, and here comes this skunk out from under a table....

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:Now that is a good one!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by