Processing Cornish X: A First Timer's Overview/Experience (pic heavy, only 1 "graphic")

What is your relationship to processing?

• Do all my own

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Someone in my family does it

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Never have but want to

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Never have never will

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Bring them to a butcher

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Today I processed my first meat bird. Wanted to document my process in detail. Maybe other first timer's will get some help from it, or I will get some helpful tips. I didn't take many pics of the actual evisceration because I was concentrating and dirty. Also this is my first time and I don't intend this as a how to. More an overview of the equipment and setup I chose, thoughts on the process, and some results!! Almost all my knowledge on this subject came from Adam Danforth's book Butchering and from this website. Also, this is a chronicle of how I raised these meat birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...of-meaties-just-arrived-26-cornish-x.1393220/
Equipment
First and maybe most importantly, knives. I only used 3 knives during the whole process. One was a butter knife I used for "finishing" those pesky pin feathers before I stuck it in the fridge. These are the two edged knives I used.
20200817_133650.jpg

They are both Outdoor Edge brand. The black one is the "caper" that came with the outdoor edge game processing kit. The orange one is the Razorlite EDC. The replaceable blades are scalpel sharp. I don't have the utmost confidence in my knife sharpening abilities. I opted to go with the orange one for dispatching. Razor sharp every time. Small and grippy. The black one worked great for every other part of the process. The kit came with a slide through sharpener, and it works quite well.
I used a hexagonal Little Giant medium kill cone, mounted to a tree. I ordered this cone from wal-mart. I was super happy with how it held up, and the size was absolutely perfect for this broiler.
20200817_085338.jpg

For my scalder, I just used a camp stove with a large stock pot with a candy thermometer.
20200817_085344.jpg

Other than that it was basically some dry buckets, one for blood/viscera, and one for feathers(different spots), 2 ice water buckets, a bowl of ice water(for edible offal), and a cooler full of ice water.
Setup
My set up was relatively simple. I chose to work with a dirty and a clean side. Dirty for killing and scalding/plucking, clean for evisceration. I separated the two sections with two buckets of ice water for the transition from "dirty to clean". Here is a picture with the "dirty" side.
20200817_085408.jpg

Above the yellow bucket I suspended some rope between two trees, to hang by the feet for plucking after scalding.
This is the "clean table side. Basically just a clean water table. I opted for my hose instead of the faucet because I wanted to be able to rinse inside the bird with a bit of a jet. Should have got table with flexible SPRAY faucet.
20200817_085352.jpg

The bowl was for the liver I saved, and the blue cooler to the left is filled with ice water.
Process
I withheld feed for about 14 hours, starting last night. This morning, about half hour before processing time, I removed the bird from the group and brought him over to the butcher area. I left him there in an opaque tote with some pine shavings mostly closed so he could relax a little bit and I could finish filling my buckets/triple checking my supplies etc. When the time came I lifted him from the ankles and held him upside down. After flapping for a few seconds he really did enter a zen like state and I approached the cone. he went into the cone without a struggle and just got a little bit reactive when I grabbed his head and extended it through the hole of the cone. I proceeded with my cut. I immediately got a fountain of blood and knew I had done my job effectively. I know my knife was sharp because the bird did not even react to the cut itself. I kept hold of the head and aimed the blood into my bucket. After about 10 seconds he started to struggle a bit. By 30ish seconds the blood fountain had turned into a slow drip, and I knew the bird was insensible as he went through the most violent of the death throes. When he stopped moving I let go of his head and had a quiet moment of reflection as I let the bleed out finish up.
20200817_090157.jpg
About 5 minutes after the cut, I tested for life in two ways. First I observed the vent to make sure it wasn't opening and closing. When I confirmed it was not, I went on to my final test. A poke to the eyeball with the tip of my knife. With no reaction to this whatsoever, I was sure enough the bird was dead to proceed to the next step: scalding(whole chapter on responsible sensibility testing in the above mentioned book.).
I timed it so I cut the throat when my water temp was at 170. When I was ready to dunk, it was right about 185. I did three dunk/swishes of about 5 seconds each. I tested after each one by pulling on a primary feather. The third dunk did the trick, and it slipped right out...I will say plucking was a pain in the butt and definitely the most time consuming part of the process. I would DEFINITELY get a plucker before a scalder. I do have a few ppl that say they want to help when I do the lion share of my birds in a day(still only about 7), so I will hopefully delegate plucking to them. :) My wife also stepped in at this point and plucked behind me to get the small feathers I missed. We finished up the pluck together.
20200817_092536.jpg

I then dunked my bird in a bucket of "dirty side" ice water to get all the feather debris off. I then dipped it in the "clean side" ice bucket for a rinse and onto the evisceration table.
20200817_093153.jpg

Didn't get too many pictures of this part but I will list the steps in the order I did them. 1.Remove the feet 2. Remove the preen gland 3. Remove head and neck 4. Separate trachea, esophagus and crop from neck/skin 5. Remove vent and large intestines 6.remove entrails. and Voila!
20200817_095459.jpg

After I was all done I rinsed my bird, inside and out. Outside with the "flood" setting on the hose, inside with jet. When I was satisfied the cavity was clear of debris I put the bird into a chill tank(cooler filled with ice water.)
20200817_100429.jpg

Results
After about 3 hours, I removed the bird from the ice bath. The bath really tightened up the skin, and basically jump started the process of turning muscle into meat(resting/aging.) At this point I used a butter knife to get the last few pinfeathers I was too feather blind to see during plucking. Took maybe 10 minutes. I let the carcass drip dry in a colander over the sink for about 15 mins and was left with this.
20200817_132014.jpg

My scale is weird and starts at 8oz, giving me an actual final weight on this bird of 4.5 lbs! It was 47 days old.
20200817_131933.jpg

I plan to keep the bird in the fridge in an open bowl until Wednesday to let riga mortis play out, and then broil this sucker whole! Low and slow on 250 until cooked, then bump it up to 375 for a while to crisp up the skin.

My feed cost per bird was $5.50. I sold some chicks making the cost of the birds free. I have "free" solar power and spent 2.50 on bedding for these guys total. My water comes from a well. My cost for this bird, therefore, was about $1.25/lb. dressed. What a home run!!!
Summary
The only thing I can find to pick about is I had a bit of skin tearing on the breast during evisceration. I imagine with more experience I could easily learn to avoid this. I also need to get my time down. Another thing experience will hopefully aid.
Raising these birds has been an incredible experience for me. They were funny, robust, rotund birds that I enjoyed spending time with. With responsible tractor moving and limited feeding, they were no stinkier or hard to handle than any other birds I have. Their ability to turn feed into meat is astounding and they really upped my self sufficiency game. I am from brooklyn, only been farming for two years. These birds made livestock for meat approachable, affordable, and doable. They have inspired me to look into adding rabbits and quail for next year.
As of now I have 10 left of my original 26. Only 3 died, all in the first week. The rest were sold(im facebook friends with the lady, they are thriving). Hopefully they will all be processed within the next week or so. Barring an unforeseen disaster, I am incredibly happy with the success of this venture, and am already thinking of ways to run my next batch smoother.

If you're still reading, thank you so much for checking this out. I hope maybe someone learned something. Conversely if you see something I can be doing differently please drop a suggestion. Comments always welcome!
20200817_095511.jpg

Good job, great write up

Skin tears when water too hot
I scaled 145 to 160f. A small squirt of dish soap in the water helps cut the feathers oils and gets through the feathers better
Thank you for the tips! Those are exactly the type of little gems I am looking to learn. I appreciate you!

Side note. I immediately put the liver in ice water when I found it. After washing up, I fried that bad boy up with some onions. Wowzers, now that was flavor! I don't think I ever ate anything that 30 minutes before was in an animal. It was yummy.
If you leave liver too long in water it gets pale and waterlogged.

Some people rest in open container so the skin drys
And some people think it drys out too much.
Your preference

After I was all done I rinsed my bird, inside and out. Outside with the "flood" setting on the hose, inside with jet. When I was satisfied the cavity was clear of debris I put the bird into a chill tank(cooler filled with ice water.)View attachment 2294545
Results
After about 3 hours, I removed the bird from the ice bath. The bath really tightened up the skin, and basically jump started the process of turning muscle into meat(resting/aging.) At this point I used a butter knife to get the last few pinfeathers I was too feather blind to see during plucking. Took maybe 10 minutes. I let the carcass drip dry in a colander over the sink for about 15 mins and was left with this.
View attachment 2294550
My scale is weird and starts at 8oz, giving me an actual final weight on this bird of 4.5 lbs! It was 47 days old.
View attachment 2294551
I plan to keep the bird in the fridge in an open bowl until Wednesday to let riga mortis play out, and then broil this sucker whole! Low and slow on 250 until cooked, then bump it up to 375 for a while to crisp up the skin.

My feed cost per bird was $5.50. I sold some chicks making the cost of the birds free. I have "free" solar power and spent 2.50 on bedding for these guys total. My water comes from a well. My cost for this bird, therefore, was about $1.25/lb. dressed. What a home run!!!
Summary
The only thing I can find to pick about is I had a bit of skin tearing on the breast during evisceration. I imagine with more experience I could easily learn to avoid this. I also need to get my time down. Another thing experience will hopefully aid.
Raising these birds has been an incredible experience for me. They were funny, robust, rotund birds that I enjoyed spending time with. With responsible tractor moving and limited feeding, they were no stinkier or hard to handle than any other birds I have. Their ability to turn feed into meat is astounding and they really upped my self sufficiency game. I am from brooklyn, only been farming for two years. These birds made livestock for meat approachable, affordable, and doable. They have inspired me to look into adding rabbits and quail for next year.
As of now I have 10 left of my original 26. Only 3 died, all in the first week. The rest were sold(im facebook friends with the lady, they are thriving). Hopefully they will all be processed within the next week or so. Barring an unforeseen disaster, I am incredibly happy with the success of this venture, and am already thinking of ways to run my next batch smoother.

If you're still reading, thank you so much for checking this out. I hope maybe someone learned something. Conversely if you see something I can be doing differently please drop a suggestion. Comments always welcome!
View attachment 2294585
Good job. Nice control of your cost, too! I also do not chill my livers in water, just put them in the bowl warm and put the bowl in the frig or cooler on the ice between birds if you have to, depends on how many birds you are processing. I save all the giblets this way, but the liver and onions after work is done is what I like! Quick and easy after the day of processing is done. Best with more than 1 bird, though! 10 - 15 livers is what it takes to feed us!

Good job. Nice control of your cost, too! I also do not chill my livers in water, just put them in the bowl warm and put the bowl in the frig or cooler on the ice between birds if you have to, depends on how many birds you are processing. I save all the giblets this way, but the liver and onions after work is done is what I like! Quick and easy after the day of processing is done. Best with more than 1 bird, though! 10 - 15 livers is what it takes to feed us!
Thanks!! I keep looking over my cost log like, can this be??? The controlled feeding, plus free chicks really kept my average low. I hate to say my utilities are free, because I spent thousands of dollars and months of tweaking getting my solar system right. But I guess this is one of the examples of it paying off because I didn't have to factor in brooding electricity or water costs either. Gotta love a closed loop system!

And thanks for the liver tip. I will be eating a lot of it in the next couple weeks.

Thanks!! I keep looking over my cost log like, can this be??? The controlled feeding, plus free chicks really kept my average low. I hate to say my utilities are free, because I spent thousands of dollars and months of tweaking getting my solar system right. But I guess this is one of the examples of it paying off because I didn't have to factor in brooding electricity or water costs either. Gotta love a closed loop system!

And thanks for the liver tip. I will be eating a lot of it in the next couple weeks.
Just rinse the livers and put them in a bowl, put the bowl in the cooler on the ice, good to go! Livers and onions fried in the fat from the chicken = :drool Dirty rice on the side, dinner is served!

Right on! Congrats! Well thought out and recorded. Great example of a backyard butchering.

Not necessarily of the utmost importance, but, personally, I like to take the organs out all at once after loosening the crop so they stay intact. With the bird on it's back and after making the initial cavity incision, if you reach way up into the top of the bird going above the gizzard and along the rib cage and sort of loosen all those connections starting from the top and following the ribs with your fingers ending up at the back bone (where the strongest connections are) and then doing the other side, after that you can basically grab all the organs in one hand and plop it all out on the table (not including the lungs generally, but sometimes they come out too if you get it just right), it's at that point when I remove the vent by cutting it out with the last bit of intestine in my hand to make sure I don't cut it. It really ensures a clean evisceration to keep it intact while taking it all out.

Like molpet said, 185F might have been a little hot for the scald water and might have been the reason the breast tore. I try not to let it go above 150F.

:thumbsup

I don't think you said what you did with the feet?

They make the BEST stock! (You have to "take their socks off" -- scalding them then peeling off the outer cuticle down to the toes where you sort of pinch off the toenails).

My method of making stock is to dump whatever I am making stock out of into my large, oval crockpot late in the evening, cover with water, let it run all night on low, turn it off when I wake up, then do all the straining, etc. midday or early afternoon after it cools.

Stock made with chicken feet sets up so stiff that you can literally cut with with a knife. You actually have to dilute it to cook rice in it. :)

Back
Top Bottom