My first batch of meaties just arrived! 26 Cornish x

Pics

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
So I just received 26 st. run chicken nuggets in the mail from thechickhatchery.com. They were on sale thru the month of may for $1.50 each with a minimum of 25. I got 26 live active little nuggets.
20200702_081123.jpg
Right now they are divided into 2, 2x4 brooders with brooder plates. I am hoping to get them in their tractor on pasture within 2-3 weeks.
20200702_093245.jpg

I am feeding a 20% protein starter grower the whole way through, that I plan to mix some corn into at the end to lower the protein a bit. I plan to process half these birds myself for my freezer and give the other half to my partner who owns a CSA at point of slaughter. He will get them processed at a licensed place so he can distribute them through our community. He is paying me for raising them and basically it gets me my 13 birds for free. Minimal financial commitment for me for a first time run. They are incredibly adorable and friendly. I look forward to giving them a good life before they feed my family.

20200702_093430(0).jpg

I plan to document my experience and results here. Any advice or sharing always welcome. Thanks for reading!

Just had a mysterious death. Had to have happened in the last 3 hrs or so. Chick didn't show any signs of duress or bodily injury. Guess it just kind of comes with the territory. Everyone else seems to be doing fine...RIP little nugget.

It happens. Any deaths you have in the first 24 hours after they arrive can most likely be attributed to some kind of stress that happened during shipping.

Congrats on your chicks! That's an interesting arrangement you have going on. Sounds like a great deal for you. I'll follow along and see if I can help with anything along the way. Looks great so far, Cheers!

Last edited:
It happens. Any deaths you have in the first 24 hours after they arrive can most likely be attributed to some kind of stress that happened during shipping.

Congrats on your chicks! That's an interesting arrangement you have going on. Sounds like a great deal for you. I'll follow along and see if I can help with anything along the way. Looks great so far, Cheers!
Thanks so much neighbor. Truly appreciate it!

Well, my meaties are a week old today. They have been here for five days. I lost 2/26 in the first 36 hrs but it has been smooth sailing since then. Unfortunately my CSA friend kinda ghosted on me so I have more meat than I know what to do with! I have a pretty small freezer...guess my friends and family are gonna get hooked up. Will post some pics in a bit. Boy they grow fast!

Thanks for stopping in!

Lost number 3/26 ths morning. Went out to water them and there was one just lying on his side, eyes closed kind of twitching. 🥺 It couldn't stand or open its eyes so I decided to cull it. Not sure why that happened. Didn't have any dirty butt or or obvious abnormalities. Maybe if I lose another one I will do a postmortem internal examination. 🤔🤔

Lost number 3/26 ths morning. Went out to water them and there was one just lying on his side, eyes closed kind of twitching. 🥺 It couldn't stand or open its eyes so I decided to cull it. Not sure why that happened. Didn't have any dirty butt or or obvious abnormalities. Maybe if I lose another one I will do a postmortem internal examination. 🤔🤔
Was the comb blue or darker than normal? Indicates heart failure.
Open him up and look for fluid around the heart and lungs. Ascites is a known issue. So is heat stress. CX run hot and summer does them no favors.

Yours are still young, though. Failure to thrive is another issue.

Back
Top Bottom