Dispatching My Roosters

shepherd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
I have a question. I have 30 three almost four month old chickens and it looks like I have to make alot of room in my freezer because more than half of them are roosters. Ive done alot in the past hatches for killing them like my .22, a hatchet , sliting their throats, and even my 12 gauge to thier head one time just to see how it worked.

The cleanest way I have found of doing it so far is to take a feed bag or a dog food bag and cut a hole just big enough to fit thier head threw. Then I take a corn knife or a hatchet and cut the head off. Then I hang the bag upside down to none of the blood gets all over the bird.

I just want to know what kind of method you have devoloped that works best for you when it comes time to make a few less crows every morning.

Irun them over to the lady down the road she does em on the side costs me like 2 bucks a bird and all I do is drop em off and pick em up I used to raise em and do 100 at a time we hand plucked etc Im too old for that (33)

welcome-byc.gif

I asked for this topic to be moved to the Meat Birds Etc section. There are a lot of helpful & experienced folks there who can better discuss effective dispatch methods. I'm afraid there will be folks tuning into the Managing Your Flock section who would be upset by the graphic descriptions already written here.

The good thing about processing standard breed roosters is that you needn't do them all at once. You could spread the chore out over several weeks, doing the heaviest ones first, and the others won't drop dead on their own while they wait.

Check out this video. Looks very humane, not messy, and these people make it look very easy, with only simple equipment (other than the plucker, which I would love to have!
big_smile.png
):

Part 2:

Back
Top Bottom