Display of Dominance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eoldynski, Apr 25, 2009.

1. eoldynski

eoldynski New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    I have two crested Polish bantams, one mostly black and the second is mostly silver. I noticed that lately the black has its tail raised most of the time.

Does this mean simple that the black one is more dominant or is it a male? I there only about 2 week old and I can't tell the sex yet and besides I'm very new at this.

regards
    ed.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It's the setting of the pecking order...

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Just wait til he fluffs up all his feathers and does a weird little "I'm the stud here" dance! It's hilarious. My WC black boy did that to a Lavender orp twice his size. The orp ran the other way - what a chicken!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Polish have very high-raised tails-or they should. It's their breed. [​IMG] Just like how some breeds of chicken have stubby tails and some have none, the Polish has a very high tail. They also tend to keep their tail raised when they are running or excited, like dogs will do when they wag their tails. Generally the same meaning. Hens will display dominance when they are together. So it's too early to tell the genders.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree, they are establishing their pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by