Displayed leg??

Well I mean of her legs. If we could see what her posture is like, someone may have had similar experience with their chicken(s) and be able to chime in
wink.png

Ok. Will do

How do her pupils look? Nice and round and black? Or are they irregular shaped?

Marek's can cause weird leg things and paralysis. Do you have any idea if she was vaccinated?

Other than that, if it's sudden, there must be a cause. Check her over VERY thoroughly for any bites (spider, snake, rat) or injuries/wounds. Feel her abdomen for anything odd - lumps, masses, fluid-filled.

Purple combs can be circulatory-related.

Have you wormed your flock lately??

MrsB

How do her pupils look? Nice and round and black? Or are they irregular shaped?

Marek's can cause weird leg things and paralysis. Do you have any idea if she was vaccinated?

Other than that, if it's sudden, there must be a cause. Check her over VERY thoroughly for any bites (spider, snake, rat) or injuries/wounds. Feel her abdomen for anything odd - lumps, masses, fluid-filled.

Purple combs can be circulatory-related.

Have you wormed your flock lately??

MrsB

Her eyes are bright and her pupils are normal. She has not been vaccinated. I just checked her all over. No bite marks and other wounds. She is molting too. And no, no worming has been done. But they also don't free range and live on concrete so they don't have a high chance of getting worms.

Her eyes are bright and her pupils are normal. She has not been vaccinated. I just checked her all over. No bite marks and other wounds. She is molting too. And no, no worming has been done. But they also don't free range and live on concrete so they don't have a high chance of getting worms.

I might worm them once a year out of an abundance of caution, even on concrete. If they snap up flying insects, it's possible they could become infected. Valbazen gets pretty much every worm known to chickens... Safeguard is good, too. Just an encouragement. :)

If you gently manipulate her leg at the ankle, hock and hip joint, does she show any signs of discomfort or agitation?

You could always make a chicken sling to see if she can get her feet under her. Search at the top of the forum for 323,450,578 threads on chicken slings. :)

MrsB

I might worm them once a year out of an abundance of caution, even on concrete. If they snap up flying insects, it's possible they could become infected. Valbazen gets pretty much every worm known to chickens... Safeguard is good, too. Just an encouragement. :)

If you gently manipulate her leg at the ankle, hock and hip joint, does she show any signs of discomfort or agitation?

You could always make a chicken sling to see if she can get her feet under her. Search at the top of the forum for 323,450,578 threads on chicken slings. :)

MrsB

Ok thanks!

She did flinch a bit when I squeezed her ankle area.

I'll look into the sling.

Also, is it ok that she is still standing? I can't get her to lay down.

Back
Top Bottom