Dispose of dead predator

Vadgo

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Hi,

I lost a chicken the otherday, she went broody on me and decided to lay her eggs outside and didn't come into the coop at night. So she was taken.

I saw a huge possum, so I'm setting up live traps. I know I have raccoons too in the area, and whatever it was will now come and trey to eat the rest of my chooks. I figure with winter coming, they'll only be more persistent.

I plan on using eggs, and see if the barn cats will stay out of it. When I do trap something that is not one of my barn cats, I plan on shooting it with a .22. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the carcass.

I'm no good at skinning, and eating it does not appeal to me either. I really don't want to spend the time to bury it. Where there's one coon, there's more, so I'd rather avoid filling my land with predator graveyard. The county animal control will not take them, and I can't just drive away and throw the dead thing in the middle of nowhere.

So, what to do with a dead predator?

I dropped my last [dead] raccoon off in the middle of the woods behind my parents' house - the owners are in another state, so they shouldn't mind.

My uncle said he wants the next one for a BBQ so I guess that solves that, huh?

(edited to clarify I'm not releasing any durn raccoons on anybody else's property)

Last edited:
My uncle said he wants the next one for a BBQ so I guess that solves that, huh?

Really? Do people eat raccoons?​

I have my teenage son dig a deep hole with the post-hole digger at the drip line of some tree or bush. That way the critter serves some purpose nourishing the growth of something I want in the yard. If we have any new trees to plant I'll bury it first in the planting hole. All our trees & bushes are growing very well.

Quote:
Really? Do people eat raccoons?

I know a few folks that would step over a whopper to get to a BBQ coon!
hu.gif

Quote:
Really? Do people eat raccoons?

I know a few folks that would step over a whopper to get to a BBQ coon!
hu.gif

That's not sayin much. I, uh, "lost" my last two whoppers so I am never ever going to eat another one.

*sigh* yeah, they eat em, and then there's the lovely offer of "Potted Possum" (home canned possum meat) ugh... I'll never forget seeing a possum crawl OUT of a dead cow's belly on my Uncle and Aunt's farm. You couldn't PAY me enough to eat possum!
sickbyc.gif
or raccoon, they carry too many diseases, so no, tell your Uncle I won't be crashing his barbeque Journey11! (( lol, I'm sure he was deeply worried huh? ))

//edit// oh and yeah, if you wanted to you could burn the carcas in a really hot burn barrel fire... At one time take the carcass out to a deserted area and toss it out... population is growing though, so I'm not sure I'd do that anymore. I have a chest freezer so I think wrapping it really well, putting it in a garbage bag and freezing it for the Wed morning pick up sounds like a good plan.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom