Disposing of old shavings

I had not been adding grass clippings to my DL run because of people talking the mold scare but after seeing RonP's operation on this board a while back I started adding generous amounts with all the leafs collected this fall ! So far have been very happy with the results !

I have ample amounts of mulched leaves and the mixed grass has added a whole new texture to not only the stand alone compost piles but in the run also and as he stated it smells wonderful .... Just more great information gained from "boots on the ground " people on this board !

I had not been adding grass clippings to my DL run because of people talking the mold scare but after seeing RonP's operation on this board a while back I started adding generous amounts with all the leafs collected this fall ! So far have been very happy with the results !
Can really depend on the type of grass, how tall it's allowed to grow, and how it's cut.
Ron gets fescue(tender, small leaves) cut regularly with a mulching mower....much different than what I have available.

I have a 'country lawn' of mixed grasses and other plants and not mowed frequently, so I have to add it sparingly. Works better as a 'weed' suppressant piled next to run walls, then they can pick some thru the 1/2" HC.

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I think this would fit here, just finished my no turn compost bin (experiment). Central ring of fencing, keeps pile center open to air. PVC piping has 3 holes, every 4 inches, 2 thru sides, one in bottom, helps aerate the pile. As pile composts and settles, PVC creates additional air pockets, accelerating the process. That's the theory, anyhow. I'll be building another bin, next week, it will be used to predominately compost chicken waste/wood chips. The first bin contains yard, kitchen, and chicken waste. Future kitchen waste will be getting composted in mushroom beds.
20180214_121732[1].jpg

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I think this would fit here, just finished my no turn compost bin (experiment). Central ring of fencing, keeps pile center open to air. PVC piping has 3 holes, every 4 inches, 2 thru sides, one in bottom, helps aerate the pile. As pile composts and settles, PVC creates additional air pockets, accelerating the process. That's the theory, anyhow. I'll be building another bin, next week, it will be used to predominately compost chicken waste/wood chips. The first bin contains yard, kitchen, and chicken waste. Future kitchen waste will be getting composted in mushroom beds.
View attachment 1265133
A minor (or major?) flaw in my no turn operation, I treated it like a normal pile, throw browns in, then greens, layer/repeat, forgetting a crucial factor, it's not turned. It's pretty stinky, I imagine due to compacted (thick) pockets of manure and kitchen waste. What I should have done (and been doing), since it is a no turn pile, is to thoroughly mix the browns and greens before adding to the pile. Well this will be fun to fix, I got a second bin built yesterday, I'll transfer/mix the pile over to that. I still think the no turn idea is sound, time will tell. :rolleyes:

A minor (or major?) flaw in my no turn operation, I treated it like a normal pile, throw browns in, then greens, layer/repeat, forgetting a crucial factor, it's not turned. It's pretty stinky, I imagine due to compacted (thick) pockets of manure and kitchen waste. What I should have done (and been doing), since it is a no turn pile, is to thoroughly mix the browns and greens before adding to the pile. Well this will be fun to fix, I got a second bin built yesterday, I'll transfer/mix the pile over to that. I still think the no turn idea is sound, time will tell. :rolleyes:
No turn compost update- Broke down compost bin #1, mixed contents, and transferred to bin #2. As you can see I've revamped the air tubes to maximize aeration, I need to make 10 more to complete the bin.

Break down of stinky bin #1 revealed some surprises; Portions were composting (clean, earthy smell), and funky portions that were water logged or had large chunks of compressed, wasted chicken feed. Wet portions were actually minimal, the pile was mostly dry.
20180217_155008[1].jpg

Since there will be times the chickens cannot go into the huge run, I'm going to build a hoop coop attached to the main coop with a connecting tunnel. I'll put guides on the foundation so I can slip a board in there, making an area for moving fresh compostables to further down the hoop. In effect, making a series of short bins with the end bin being the most finished compost.
That way, the scratchers can do the job of turning for me, they get first dibs on compostables, the compost gets first dibs on dooky and I end up with salable compost to support my chicken habit.
Chickens will get another dedicated action area, totally independent of the weather. It can be covered with plastic for the winter, giving them a place for dry sunshine as we can get quite a bit of rain in late winter. Although it is sunny today, the yard is still spongy from the last two weeks of rain. Ugh. I hate wet, muddy chickens lol.

Back
Top Bottom