Disposing of rat caught in live trap!!

Here! Here! Sometimes a ‘humane act of kindness’ towards such vermin can come back to bite ye in the buttocks! Not having any chickens or such that if you happen to see a random rat outside would be of any concern other than said vermin getting inside your home, then ignoring the rodent would be adequate. However, having animals and feed of these animals; BOTH that will attract mice and rats is a different story. They carry deseases and can make you or your pets and livestock sick simply by coming into contact with their excrements. So it’s the responsibility of us chicken owners to see to it that these types of animals are swiftly and successfully dealt with. Or else they will continue to be an issue. Just last night I had to terminate a possum that’s been harassing our cat on the back porch. She’s old. 16 years old, and I don’t want any other wild animal attacking her and possibly killing her or giving her rabies. That’s the responsibility I have as a pet owner. And making sure rats do not cause issues with your chickens and get into your house due to having chickens and their feed present is our responsibility as chicken owners. With that being said, sometimes we have to put the well-being of our animals above the humanity of trying to get rid of such vermin.

No one ( at least most people) don’t like to end the life of a creature. It’s a sad thing to do, and it sucks knowing that animal will never get to experience the amazing thing known as life ever again, but sometimes you have to kill something. Releasing a rat into the wild can cause havoc for the local ecosystem, especially ones that don’t have a wild rat population. Rats carry fleas, and fleas can spread diseases to birds, wild rodents like squirrels, and other larger animals. Releasing a rat into the wild isn’t good. Giving it to a place that takes care of sick and injured animals, and releases them back into the wild, isn’t good. Imagine running a wildlife rehabilitation center, and one day someone comes in with a rat. A rat full of fleas, infected with many diseases, and incredibly aggressive. You probably wouldn’t even take the rat. That rat could get all of the other animals sick, and why would you spend the time and resources to take care of it? They wouldn’t like a rat, they probably wouldn’t even take it.

Killing it would be the best option. Buying a trap that kills it instantly would be the best option, as the OP has stated they can’t really kill the rats easily or humanely in their current situation. A normal mouse trap wouldn’t work, rats are too smart. I think they make special kill rat traps, but I wouldn’t know where you could get one.

If you are finding dead rats, you have a problem. I use the bait stations and haven't found any dead rats. and if a coyote or fox want to eat one I don't care. We are rural and don't have neighborhood pets on our property. Everyone around us has several acres. I still think they go down into their tunnels and die. I hate rats.

No kindness extends to rats. As others have mentioned, you need to kill every one you catch. You more than likely do not have *one* rat. More than likely, you have at least ten or more. There is never just one rat. Keep setting your trap and keep drowning them. After you stop catching them in number, keep the trap set anyway. More will come to fill in the gaps left from the ones you removed. As long as there is any kind of food source, they will keep coming. They will go after the food and they will also kill small chicks. Do not EVER do anything that will give a rat a chance to get to you. That includes opening the trap and trying to drop rocks into it. A single rat can send you to the hospital with a very nasty bite.

First off, I moved to the "city" and to my shock there was a rat in my garage where I house my chickens.
I caught him in a live trap but I need a way to dispose of him, and I'm not sure how to kill him quickly.
Do I dump him in water or will he just jump out?
I need suggestions for methods....I can't just dunk my trap in water because it's kinda big.
What we do is have two traps and if we catch one by its foot, we then put the next trap by its head and place the rat in it, quick and easy when dead we throw it on our hill and the turkey vultures get the carcass

First off, I moved to the "city" and to my shock there was a rat in my garage where I house my chickens.
I caught him in a live trap but I need a way to dispose of him, and I'm not sure how to kill him quickly.
Do I dump him in water or will he just jump out?
I need suggestions for methods....I can't just dunk my trap in water because it's kinda big.
Make him/her a pet. Rats are amazing pets, I raised and bred them for many years! If you don't want to keep it, then sell it to someone else ;) All the wild rats we have in NA are descended from the Norway rat, which is the very same species sold in pet stores ;)

Also consider that rats can live harmoniously with chickens. Sure, they'll raid the feeders, but their young offspring then becomes food for your chickens. Rats really aren't a huge concern, it's when the rats start disappearing that you need to be worried, because that means mink, the most vile of chicken predators!

Back
Top Bottom