Dissapearing eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoultryParadise, Dec 22, 2010.

1. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh I think I may have some egg munchers in the coop. I went from getting 2 1/2 dozen faithfully every day to maybe 2 dozen this week. They have TONS of water, light, lots of roost room, I can't think of why the eggs would go to an almost stop.

Previouse to the stand still I noticed the egg shells were a little weak so I just up-ed the oyster shell. I do have a few too many men in the coop 8 roos, 30 girls. , taking care of that this week-end. The extra roos are only because my dear boyfriend thought he would make it easier on me for the next time I went out to water all these different breeds in different areas that were seperated. HE MIXED THEM! [​IMG] So that also could be why they are refusing to lay.

They are also locked up, as I thought they were hiding the eggs. Nope.

Any suggestions on any other reason they could be suddenly not laying?

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The stress from mixing them and having to sort out the pecking order can slow down their egg production big time. Your BF better hide behind something quick! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens hate change. Everytime you add or remove someone from the flock, it can cause a slow down or stop in production. Give them a week or 2 and it should be back to normal.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Change in flock members will stop or reduce their laying.

Stress will to. I don't think you have a egg eating problem.

5. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Thank goodness everyone seems to agree about the new members being the issue. Breaking egg eaters is a hard thing to do. I hope production speeds up again soon. I seperated birds so that I would have fertile eggs that are pure and not mutts. I understand my bf just trying to make life easier, to his credit it is easier to use one big waterer going to one place than a whole bunch of small ones going all over the place. But if he touchs my chickens again he is out!
    I have to move them back to their groupings, so I guess the move will stress them out even more. [​IMG]

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    When our weather started to get foul this winter and the girls had to stay indoors more our egg production nearly ground to a halt. But now that they are used to it its back to bumper crops. They just need get used to the new arrangment. If they were eating eggs you would see signs in the nest boxes I'm sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by