Dissapointed with my new marans

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I finally found some french Marans. I was told they had just gone through a molt when I bought them. they gave me 2 (out of 3) eggs this morning but they are not as dark as I would have hopped. Does anyone know where to find a color chart?

Marans of America has a color chart. So sorry to hear about your eggs not being dark. I had three marans hens I bought from a private breeder, and the eggs were no darker than my other brown egg layers. The second time I bought my BCM hen, Fancy, at the Ohio National Show, and the lady showed me her mama's eggs, so I knew they would be dark. I don't have the exact link, but if you google Marans of America, you will find the link. They have a breeder's list too.

Quote:
who did you get them from? and what colour are they? ( i am located in NS)

Some guy in Fredericton, didn't really get his name since it was an ad I replied to on kijiji. its the ones that look like barred rocks but are really dark, the roo is really pretty though.
Guess i should of asked for an egg sample. I wonder if the eggs will get a bit darker after the molt for awhile.

Quote:
who did you get them from? and what colour are they? ( i am located in NS)

Some guy in Fredericton, didn't really get his name since it was an ad I replied to on kijiji. its the ones that look like barred rocks but are really dark, the roo is really pretty though.
Guess i should of asked for an egg sample. I wonder if the eggs will get a bit darker after the molt for awhile.

Cuckoo marans? if Cuckoo marans, i know of no lines of cuckoo in Canada that lay dark eggs. those may have come from performance poultry in ON an other hatchery. if they are black or black copper they may have come from QC lines ( bad line of marans) but if they came from BC line of BC (there's 2 lines, 1 line are dercit imports from france)

Quote:

Cuckoo marans? if Cuckoo marans, i know of no lines of cuckoo in Canada that lay dark eggs. those may have come from performance poultry in ON an other hatchery. if they are black or black copper they may have come from QC lines ( bad line of marans) but if they came from BC line of BC (there's 2 lines, 1 line are dercit imports from france)

Gosh darn it I guess they are Cuckoo marans. I guess it's my fault for not doing my homework. Should of gone with the penedenseca from Quebec.
he.gif

Quote:

Gosh darn it I guess they are Cuckoo marans. I guess it's my fault for not doing my homework. Should of gone with the penedenseca from Quebec.
he.gif

the pene's lay 7-8 on the marans chart.
big_smile.png
i have some wheton/ wheton split to black (sp?) that i will have eggs for sale next spring.

Quote:
he.gif

the pene's lay 7-8 on the marans chart.
big_smile.png
i have some wheton/ wheton split to black (sp?) that i will have eggs for sale next spring.

PM me with your contact info
big_smile.png
thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom