Distance between waterer and feeder

michellers

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Wisconsin
What's the recommended distance to place the feeder from the waterer? My girls are a month old tomorrow and the smell of the food getting wet is grossing me out. Placing the waterer in a pan, elevated about 1.5" from the bottom of the pan is working out great! Any spilling and splashing water is in the pan, which they play with - double the water use!

Tonight, as I cleaned out their brooder, I placed a new style feeder (usually use it when setting the cats up for a weekend away) elevated by a 2"x4". It's about a foot or so away from the waterer. Is that okay?

They figured it out and have both been going back and forth. Just want to verify, as I plan on having the food and water not right next to each other in their outdoor run to prevent the wet food when they get a deeper waterer. And keep it away from their pond too.

IF YOUR FEED IS GETTING WET IT IS TOO CLOSE TO THE WATER! THE WATER COULD BE ON THE OTHER END OF THEIR CONTAINER. YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER A NIPPLE WATERING SYSTEM. THERE ARE LOADS OF THESE OUT THERE BESIDES MINE ONE SHOULD WORK FOR YOU.

IF YOUR FEED IS GETTING WET IT IS TOO CLOSE TO THE WATER! THE WATER COULD BE ON THE OTHER END OF THEIR CONTAINER. YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER A NIPPLE WATERING SYSTEM. THERE ARE LOADS OF THESE OUT THERE BESIDES MINE ONE SHOULD WORK FOR YOU.
Rich386, a nipple watering system will not work for ducklings and ducks/ geese they need deep water to wash out their nares and eyes. Your system will work great from other poultry but not waterfowl.

What's the recommended distance to place the feeder from the waterer? My girls are a month old tomorrow and the smell of the food getting wet is grossing me out. Placing the waterer in a pan, elevated about 1.5" from the bottom of the pan is working out great! Any spilling and splashing water is in the pan, which they play with - double the water use!

Tonight, as I cleaned out their brooder, I placed a new style feeder (usually use it when setting the cats up for a weekend away) elevated by a 2"x4". It's about a foot or so away from the waterer. Is that okay?

They figured it out and have both been going back and forth. Just want to verify, as I plan on having the food and water not right next to each other in their outdoor run to prevent the wet food when they get a deeper waterer. And keep it away from their pond too.

Your setup looks good, I have outside my buckets and waterers across the yard from my feed bowls and my ducks get a mouth ful of food and walk all the way to the water to eat it. Their just messy so expect to find food in the water and vice versa.

Sounds good, you do want to ensure they don't get the water into the feed... which is probably the biggest issue with them as wee ones.. ok adults too lol but worse with babies.

They have those cup and dish type waters that work on the same principle. would they work?

I think they'd work overnight but during the day at some point they would need deeper water.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom