Distended abdomen, feathers missing (UPDATED/Necropsy) GRAPHIC

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
I have a Buckeye hen that is just over a year, has been in fine health but we find her today not moving around much. Upon examination, she is missing a large swath of feathers on her abdomen and her her abdomen (belly) on back to her vent seems quite firm and distended. What are we dealing with??

10/21: I put her out of her misery as I could not figure out what was wrong with her. Poor gal. After her death, I did open her belly up to see if I could learn anything. I have butchered plenty of chickens but never a laying hen before. I did not find anything even resembling any eggs in her (she had been a good layer). The membrane around the intestines was covered in what looked like tiny little pebbles. The most noticable abnormality was the large amount of fluid in her abdomen. I am sure that over a quart of yellowish liquid (ironically it looked like chicken broth), drained out upon opening the cavity.

I've looked up ascites. I am finding only info for meat birds and it seems related to poor ventilation. We have a flock of only about 40 birds and they have plenty of space and even free range. The coop is well ventilated (there is space between the entire roof and the walls - covered in hardware cloth of course). She was a purebred Buckeye and not at all overweight or seeming unhealthy in any other way. She seemed fine and has been a sweet bird up until about 4 days ago. This morning she could barely move and seemed to be quite uncomfortable.

Any info is appreciated.

Pic showing the bumps on the intestines. There is a bit of the yellowish liquid as well on the plastic bag on the lower right.
60439_ginger_necropsy2.jpg

Last edited:
Poor chicken. There are a few things you may want to explore. Worms may be one possibility. You may want to do a search on this site on ascites. If she is laying irregularly you may want to explore egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying.

scratch'n'peck :

Poor chicken. There are a few things you may want to explore. Worms may be one possibility. You may want to do a search on this site on ascites. If she is laying irregularly you may want to explore egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying.

Thanks for the info. Wormed them two months ago.​

Quote:
The entire intestine was like that. All other organs appeared normal. I really thought I'd see eggs in her - I thought I had read that when you butcher hens there will be eggs in different stages of development. So, maybe she had stopped laying a few weeks ago or longer.

If there are other eggs in development, they would be on the "face" of the ovary. If that is the gizzard up above the intestines, it looks kinda bumpy, too. She's a little old for Marek's but you might want to look up Lymphoid Leukosis

oh poor girl,
you sure are brave to see what you could learn by doing that. I dont think many people could.
hugs.gif

I wonder what it could be ?

Last edited:
I'm sorry you had to put her out of her misery. I'm no expert on ascites, but from what I have read, it can be caused by a variety of things and is often associated with a poor circulation or blood flow in the chicken. It sure does look like she had some tumor formations, but I really don't know what would cause that. I suppose you could try to email the photo to an agricultural extension office and find out if they can give some feedback. Here is a link I came across if you are interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40141

Back
Top Bottom