disturbing hens in the nesting box

25 chickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Often times when I go out to feed/water or collect eggs there are hens in the nesting boxes. I am hesitant to disturb them or collect eggs from under them because I worry they won't lay their eggs if they are disturbed too much. Is it OK to collect eggs from under them or should I just wait until they are out of the boxes?

I have done both, if it's your last check than look, if you're coming back later than wait, I haven't noticed a difference, though occasionally one will drop her egg while she's cackling at me for what I have just done. Most of mine know the shame of the feed scoop over their head while I frisk them for eggs, a few are too skiddish and run when they see me coming. I don't like being pecked, so I cover their heads.

I lift my hens slightly and remove eggs with no issues at all (apart from a lot of squawking) - i then have cleaner eggs and in theory, minimise broodiness (not sure that works though!)

Mine don't argue at all if I lift them up to get the eggs,they are very docile in the boxes. I just worried if I disturbed them too much/often it would affect egg production. Usually only an issue if I'm going to be gone the rest of the day,then I like to get as many collected before I leave.

I just wait to collect eggs when I lock up the coop for the night just after dark, then they are all on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom