disturbing hens in the nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 25 chickens, Nov 2, 2015.

1. 25 chickens

25 chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Often times when I go out to feed/water or collect eggs there are hens in the nesting boxes. I am hesitant to disturb them or collect eggs from under them because I worry they won't lay their eggs if they are disturbed too much. Is it OK to collect eggs from under them or should I just wait until they are out of the boxes?
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Shazam Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have done both, if it's your last check than look, if you're coming back later than wait, I haven't noticed a difference, though occasionally one will drop her egg while she's cackling at me for what I have just done. Most of mine know the shame of the feed scoop over their head while I frisk them for eggs, a few are too skiddish and run when they see me coming. I don't like being pecked, so I cover their heads.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I lift my hens slightly and remove eggs with no issues at all (apart from a lot of squawking) - i then have cleaner eggs and in theory, minimise broodiness (not sure that works though!)
  4. 25 chickens

25 chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Mine don't argue at all if I lift them up to get the eggs,they are very docile in the boxes. I just worried if I disturbed them too much/often it would affect egg production. Usually only an issue if I'm going to be gone the rest of the day,then I like to get as many collected before I leave.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I just wait to collect eggs when I lock up the coop for the night just after dark, then they are all on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by