dividing up existing coop

kipepeo

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
NC KS
I am planning on dividing this coop into 3 sections. The left hand door will be one section and will have a door inside to the middle section and the right side door will be the 3rd section. I am planning on just using wire to divide it up do you think that would work. I thought it would be easier for hosing out and things.
The right side door section leads to what used to be a screened in room I think only foundation there I am going to enclose it with a dog kennel I have. The left door section will connect to middle section and will house bantams, but then I can use the middle for chicks or breeding if I need it.

32511_013.jpg

Nice looking coop!
4 sq ft per at minimum
Is it a wood floor, dirt? If so, you could attract lice, disease, etc... by using water to clean the coop floor by introducing more humidity inside.
Wire or most anything that would divide the areas would work. Just remember that if they want to get over to another area they will. Unless wings are clipped or the areas are enclosed to the top.

Great idea to divide coop. I have four joined coops and devided by wire. Thats what I was doing this week. I have a broody hen so I put her in one section while the others are open to be used by the rest of the flock. When the time comes the chicks will go in the end section and be gradually moved further toward the hens. In the winter I open the whole thing to the now combined flock for more space.two sections have runs. I wish all sections had access to the runs and that will be something to do later. Your coop looks like you are really going to the chicken business. Lots of room. Start slow and add new breeds until you know what you really like. Gloria Jean and always enjoy

Quote:
There were 3 coops like this on the farm one fell to pieces, the other is where I have the standards I got last year. This coop is banties and then ducks on the right side. I am either going to do runs or electric fence on the north side. btw it has 2 new doors on it and getting covered in tin and two new windows he discovered the current ones had rotted when he was getting ready to put the trim up.

32511_011.jpg

I would do OSB or plywood on the bottom of your dividers. I've found that roos can grab each other through the wire and I've even had them rip a hole in the wire and really bloody each other up!
sad.png
Plus, having the wood on the bottom prevents drafts and makes it easier to scoop out of the shavings (you'll have something to scoop up against).

Here are some pics of my coops (during construction). The only thing I'd like to change is to make the dividers even taller on the inside. They are about 2 feet, which is not high enough to keep my bigger roosters from staring down each other, LOL

Pen4.jpg

Priming the inside...it's kind of hard to tell what you're looking at in this picture....
GLCPenPainting.jpg

Back
Top Bottom