Dixie Rainbow Growout Journal

Sorry for the gap in updates... It's been 2 weeks since my last update but here it is.

Week 3: Lost 1 more bird. We're down to exactly 100 birds. Not sure why it died but it just dropped dead. It was weird.

I had 1 bird that must have sprained it's leg. It was having trouble standing and it's leg was splayed off to the side. I used some of the techniques on this site to fix the splayed leg. I put it in a "Hospital pen" with a lower protein feed for a little while and nursed it back to health. I put it back with the flock and it's doing well.

Week 4: They're fully feathered out and ready to move outside. I finally finished my chicken tractor. You will see them in the new tractor in the below photo.

dscf0229.jpg

Picture of the tractor.

dscf0222.jpg

Quote:
I think I have 1 Johnny Gray mixed in with my batch. He's looking good. I think you'll enjoy working with S and G. They're good folks. I'll try to snap a picture of him tonight and post it. I have to post my weekly update anyway...

I like your big pen for the birds out on grass !! It looks like the top is made of tin .... and i think you are in Alabama or near by .... if so i would paint the tin white(thick white-coolseal white) so as to cut down on the intense heat that the tin generates and your birds will be so-so Happy , as well as your self .
Best of luck to you ,
Shannon

Those Dixie Ranger chicks look just like the K-22 chicks I just got from Moyer's last week. They look like little chipmunks with the stripes down their back. I'm also interested in an update as a result.

I love the journal and cannot wait for an update. I already have 50 Hubbard White Mountain Broilers and 100 colored range broilers (http://www.jmhatchery.com/index.php) and have another 100 Dixie Rainbows ordered from S&G that will be delivered on June 1. I wanted to compare the different birds, and how they will do here in Michigan. Even though we always had the cornish cross when I was a kid, I don't think that I will be ordering them again unless I have a specific request from a customer. They just cannot compare to the colored meat birds in my opinion.

Can't wait for the next update.

Ellen

Back
Top Bottom