Dixie Rainbows Thread

Here is my rainbow picked up at TSC. HUGE in comparison to my others. 3-4 weeks old. So far it is friendly, LOUD and eats well. Safe to assume a Roo? My first flock.

I've been raising them for meat for the last 3 years. They are nice birds and do grow quickly, but I will not keep them for anything other than meat, at least not the roosters. They mature in about 12 weeks, and at that age they become rather aggressive with each other and with the hens. The last week or two that I have them I am consistently separating the roosters and locking them up in a large coop/run. I hate doing it because I want all of my animals to have the opportunity to roam freely, but I also need to protect my other birds too. I hope you have better luck with keeping them longer.

I've had 2 other people tell me their Rainbow roosters are docile. So far at about 9 weeks mine are very sweet, even to the much smaller Barred Rock and Australorp chicks they're being raised with. I've never had success with roosters before because I wont tolerate mean roos. I'd love to breed these guys so fingers crossed!

What do Dixie Rainbows usually weigh at butchering time? Do you butcher at 12 weeks? How is the meat compared to jumbo cornish rocks? I'm hoping to find a more sustainable meat bird.

I've had 2 other people tell me their Rainbow roosters are docile. So far at about 9 weeks mine are very sweet, even to the much smaller Barred Rock and Australorp chicks they're being raised with. I've never had success with roosters before because I wont tolerate mean roos. I'd love to breed these guys so fingers crossed!

Where did you buy your rainbows?

You're welcome for the link - I don't butcher or eat my birds, they're just for eggs and entertainment ;) Any Roos I dont keep are given away. I lucked into the Rainbows because they were in an "Unknown" bin at the feed store and I grabbed a number of those chicks for fun to see what they grew up to be. I hope to breed them now.

Last year I processed at 12 weeks and had weights as high as 8 lbs dressed. Typically they average around 6.5 - 7 lbs. The taste is amazing compared to commercial cornish breeds. A ton of flavor, and better texture.

You're welcome for the link - I don't butcher or eat my birds, they're just for eggs and entertainment ;) Any Roos I dont keep are given away. I lucked into the Rainbows because they were in an "Unknown" bin at the feed store and I grabbed a number of those chicks for fun to see what they grew up to be. I hope to breed them now.

Okay,Thanks. Please keep us updated on how the breeding goes.

Back
Top Bottom