Dixie Rainbows Thread

Weighed Big Mama last night.
14 pounds!
Her offspring with Wingman are now almost 10 weeks old.
They are actually 87% Dixie Rainbow and have finally overwhelmed the Barred Rock genes.
All 5 of these Gold offspring are pullets.
Steady stream of hatches continues.

bigmama1216.jpg

I thought I would start this thread to log the progress of my Dixie Rainbow flock. I was turned on them by Mt. Healthy Hatchery, who I ordered my 9 girls and 1 boy who arrived today! I inquired about the breed and this is what they sent me on them:

The Dixie rainbow originated from years of mixing several breeds but the breeding now is a rainbow to rainbow , they are good to moderate layers app 280 to 300 per year, they are average growing birds and will start to lay app 20 to 22 weeks, the hens will reach app 7 lbs, the egg color is brown and the chicks are very cold hardy birds.

I really like variety in a flock, that is why I also have a flock of Easter Eggers. I wanted a chicken that would breed true so I could keep sustaining my flock, but also something that was different. I am using them as a egg laying flock, but down the road when I decide to start breeding them they will become more of a dual purpose flock. I am really excited about this adventure and thought I'd share it with all of you. And if anyone else has Dixie Rainbows, please post away
woot.gif

And now a pic of my new flock! They are all very large chicks compared to other breeds that I have gotten, about the size of Easter Eggers. They are very robust and straight away they ate and drank when I put them in their brooder. Very curious what colors they will turn out to be, no two are alike.

My future rooster

Settling in with their Easter Egger friends
Glad to see this thread as we have Dixie Rainbows. Wondering about breeding back. Do they breed true? About what age would you say they do start laying? Butchered some roosters at 13 weeks. They were huge! Could have let them go a bit longer probably but had too many roosters.

Weighed Big Mama last night.
14 pounds!
Her offspring with Wingman are now almost 10 weeks old.
They are actually 87% Dixie Rainbow and have finally overwhelmed the Barred Rock genes.
All 5 of these Gold offspring are pullets.
Steady stream of hatches continues.

View attachment 2204959
how have you found the growth rate on the offspring from these 2? At what age do the reach @ 6 lbs? Thanks

I am getting ready in a week or two to order 10 female from TSC/Hoover. I have 5 left of the black Australorpe/brown Leghorn/Barred Rock mix that hatched out 3 years ago. Ready to start up again. I have been reading all the threads concerning Rainbow Dixies and am anxious to get them. I'm also going to pick up some straight run chicks as soon as TSC has Chick Days February 22nd.

I am getting ready in a week or two to order 10 female from TSC/Hoover. I have 5 left of the black Australorpe/brown Leghorn/Barred Rock mix that hatched out 3 years ago. Ready to start up again. I have been reading all the threads concerning Rainbow Dixies and am anxious to get them. I'm also going to pick up some straight run chicks as soon as TSC has Chick Days February 22nd.

Hurray for Dixie Rainbows!!

I guess no one has anything new to report.
I have Dixie rainbows! I’m fixing to hatch one as well that is Dixie to Dixie so it’ll be pure! I’m excited! They are wonderful birds my rooster is approximately 20lbs. And my two hens are about 12-15lbs. They lay extra large eggs everyday. And sometimes double yolkers! Here’s a pic of my big babies! They are one and a half year olds. We don’t use them as meat birds, they are excellent layers!

Attachments

• 674FE86D-86BD-41D5-A6E3-0F299437E645.jpeg
    674FE86D-86BD-41D5-A6E3-0F299437E645.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 82C56CDE-6847-45B2-9959-99D95C32E784.jpeg
    82C56CDE-6847-45B2-9959-99D95C32E784.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 11
  • E2ED1E6E-76DF-4C64-A174-4B0DBD59031F.jpeg
    E2ED1E6E-76DF-4C64-A174-4B0DBD59031F.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom