DIY Auto Chicken Door I Made ~$50

Ok I'm super proud I made this and got this to work. It might not be super pretty but it works! Based it off this post from a long time ago: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-diy-automatic-chicken-pop-door-opener-closer.717940/

It's an auto pop door opener using two pumps to transfer water between two containers. The can on the right will fill or drain with water two times a day to open or close the door in the coop right next to it. Planning on 'cleaning it up' a bit to make it look nicer. Maybe enclosing it. I feel like this might be the easiest out of all the auto coop openers because you can easily find all the supplies at your local hardware store and you just plug things in. No having to crazy wire things together. The pumps are cheapest online but most home improvement stores sell fountain pumps but they are usually more expensive.

My door in action-

View attachment 2621999

Important components:
- Depending on what you already have it'll make the cost go up or down.
  • 2 submersible pumps- Ex. https://tinyurl.com/m3j8w4j7 ~$10-$20
  • 2 Containers with lid that the pump can fit in.- I used empty paint cans and estimated it would take about a gallon of liquid to open and shut a door.
  • Plastic tubing that fit the pumps to go between the two containers
  • 2 digital timers- have to per percisce on how long each pump runs. (each of mine run for 2 minutes) $5-$10
  • Pulleys $1-$2 Each
  • Rope
  • "Water"- Using windshield washer fluid seems to be the best option since it wont freeze down to -20F $2
  • Something to mount it all on, a simple wood box etc.
That is amazingly creative thinking. Wow..❤

Ok I'm super proud I made this and got this to work. It might not be super pretty but it works! Based it off this post from a long time ago: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-diy-automatic-chicken-pop-door-opener-closer.717940/

It's an auto pop door opener using two pumps to transfer water between two containers. The can on the right will fill or drain with water two times a day to open or close the door in the coop right next to it. Planning on 'cleaning it up' a bit to make it look nicer. Maybe enclosing it. I feel like this might be the easiest out of all the auto coop openers because you can easily find all the supplies at your local hardware store and you just plug things in. No having to crazy wire things together. The pumps are cheapest online but most home improvement stores sell fountain pumps but they are usually more expensive.

My door in action-

View attachment 2621999

Important components:
- Depending on what you already have it'll make the cost go up or down.
  • 2 submersible pumps- Ex. https://tinyurl.com/m3j8w4j7 ~$10-$20
  • 2 Containers with lid that the pump can fit in.- I used empty paint cans and estimated it would take about a gallon of liquid to open and shut a door.
  • Plastic tubing that fit the pumps to go between the two containers
  • 2 digital timers- have to per percisce on how long each pump runs. (each of mine run for 2 minutes) $5-$10
  • Pulleys $1-$2 Each
  • Rope
  • "Water"- Using windshield washer fluid seems to be the best option since it wont freeze down to -20F $2
  • Something to mount it all on, a simple wood box etc.
This is nice but two things.

You shouldn't use windshield wiper fluid. Should anything fail and spill out during maintenance or failure you could do harm to your chickens. Use Propylene Glycol instead. It is food grade antifreeze.

Next you could have done this with a single $12 pump, a single $2 limit switch, some $5 tubing 3/8" ID and some 1/2" ID, and either a $12 SPDT timer or 2x $11 SPST timers.

This is how to do it with a single timer. Using a single timer will mean the timer stays on all day but they don't use too much power anyway. Either way you don't need to worry about setting times to account for fill times. The eight of the water and the limit switch will cut off the pump as soon as it is open. When the timer turns off the power to the pump is turned back on and the bucket starts to fill more until it passes the 1/2" ID tube and it starts to syphon. Once it starts and the water is being syphoned faster than the pump can fill it the weight drops and the pump turns off. Bucket empties.

002 Siphon Tube.png

This is nice but two things.

You shouldn't use windshield wiper fluid. Should anything fail and spill out during maintenance or failure you could do harm to your chickens. Use Propylene Glycol instead. It is food grade antifreeze.

Next you could have done this with a single $12 pump, a single $2 limit switch, some $5 tubing 3/8" ID and some 1/2" ID, and either a $12 SPDT timer or 2x $11 SPST timers.

This is how to do it with a single timer. Using a single timer will mean the timer stays on all day but they don't use too much power anyway. Either way you don't need to worry about setting times to account for fill times. The eight of the water and the limit switch will cut off the pump as soon as it is open. When the timer turns off the power to the pump is turned back on and the bucket starts to fill more until it passes the 1/2" ID tube and it starts to syphon. Once it starts and the water is being syphoned faster than the pump can fill it the weight drops and the pump turns off. Bucket empties.

View attachment 3005751
Very good ideas. Using the proylene Glycol is a good idea. Lucky for me though my system is located outside the chicken run and downhill so if something did happen, it would flow away from the chickens. Impossible for then to get to it.

As for your system I am horribly bad when it comes to electronics and wiring figuring out how all that works, for me it's just easier to use 2 buckets with two pumps exp how cheap the pumps are nowadays.

Last edited:
So in december I rebuilt my system a little bit because one of the pumps failed and the cans were starting to rust. So!

Added Dollar store quart containers - $1 Each
Cheap amazon pumps- $10
Cheap Smart home timers- $10

Plastic containers with an eyehook screwed into the lid has now solved the bucket rusting issue. You only need one tube between the two pumps as the liquid just flows forwards and back between them easily. Same pulley system, had to be oiled once for smooth operation, didn't realize how dusty it all got! Cheap smart home times set to turn on and off 15~ minutes before or after sunset. Can tell Google now to open or close the chickencoop.

Very good ideas. Using the proylene Glycol is a good idea. Lucky for me though my system is located outside the chicken run and downhill so if something did happen, it would flow away from the chickens. Impossible for then to get to it.

As for your system I am horribly bad when it comes to electronics and wiring figuring out how all that works, for me it's just easier to use 2 buckets with two pumps exp how cheap the pumps are nowadays.
Um, if you can figure out the system you made then mine is actually simpler and all you need is to follow the diagram. All else is just as simple as asking.

Um, if you can figure out the system you made then mine is actually simpler and all you need is to follow the diagram. All else is just as simple as asking.
Well I appreciate your advice and if anyone wants a different way to do the same sort of concept, Im sure your info will be helpful.

Well I appreciate your advice and if anyone wants a different way to do the same sort of concept, Im sure your info will be helpful.
Yes I know you already have yours setup. Mentioning was just an FYI in case you have to redo it again as you have stated. However my intent was not for just you but for all who want to try this sort of opener. It is simple and with the fewest amount of components. One on time and one off time. One pump.

You mentioned "I am horribly bad when it comes to electronics and wiring..." I completely forgot to upload and post the diagrams to the very simple wiring. So for those who would like to do this and keep the costs lower, here they are.

Both use minimal power and are easy to setup. No need to time how long the pump needs to be on or how much water is needed to open the door.

The first is my first pick, due to using less components.
Single Timer Circuit.png

The second saves on power, but uses two timers
Double Time Circuit.png

Link to Google drive where I have and will upload any further info if needed.

More info in post #13.

Back
Top Bottom