DIY boots for my duck?

Sierra67

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I have a duck with messed up feet, they’re sideways and crooked and he doesn’t actually walk on the webbed part. Gets around fine keeps up with the other birds (I’m not going to kill him so don’t even say it)
My problem is winter. We have harsh winters lots of snow, cold stays around -25c can get even lower at times.
The birds have a “heated” house and a plastic covered area attached with leaves and shavings as a wind free snow free non frozen ground area, the problem is this duck (tweety bird) I’m worried about getting frost bite on his legs because of how he walks so I wanted to try and make water proof boots for him to keep his feet protected and hopefully help prevent him from slipping but I’m not sure how to do that. This is his feet while he’s just standing
437DE863-5A03-4646-884C-B2AEED2AFB7F.jpeg

I bet you could make some booties for your duck!! I am so glad you care for her and think about this!! Her left foot looks like a "club foot" that may have been positional when in the shell [squashed against a tight membrane]

Google "Homemade booties for ducks" and you will get lots of examples

Here's one for home made booties that are insulated with extra padding:
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=0379...1dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj1zeXNzRFZuYTAyVQ&ntb=1

I bet you could make some booties for your duck!! I am so glad you care for her and think about this!! Her left foot looks like a "club foot" that may have been positional when in the shell [squashed against a tight membrane]

Google "Homemade booties for ducks" and you will get lots of examples

Here's one for home made booties that are insulated with extra padding:
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=0379...1dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj1zeXNzRFZuYTAyVQ&ntb=1
Both of his feet were completely backwards and upside down at hatch, I tried making him tape boots every day fore 4 weeks and it ended up not getting any better than this photo

Both of his feet were completely backwards and upside down at hatch, I tried making him tape boots every day fore 4 weeks and it ended up not getting any better than this photo
So the poor duckling had two club feet. You did really well straightening the right foot. I'm sure you'll now do really well making protective booties for the left foot: it just needs dedication to your ducks well being and then trial and error!

So the poor duckling had two club feet. You did really well straightening the right foot. I'm sure you'll now do really well making protective booties for the left foot: it just needs dedication to your ducks well being and then trial and error!
Yes it was pretty bad when he hatched
3084BAE3-FCF7-4298-BC9C-72B971832A43.jpeg
BC2FD68D-6690-41FE-A39E-1AE45F157FEF.jpeg

First pic is right after hatch, second is after weeks of working on it

Back
Top Bottom