DIY CABINET COOLER INCUBATOR How we did it and TEST RUN Ready Set GO!

Quote:
Just have a talk with her...I'm sure if you explained your dilemna she'd be more than willing to reduce the size of her eggs for you!!
big_smile.png

UPDATE on eggs in the CABINET COOLER!

We candled and removed 14 eggs from the new Cabinet Coolerbator (RED SHARPIE COLOR CODED EGGS) and put them into "almost" lockdown in the reg coolerbator day 17, they look strong, there are 7 Layer mix eggs and 7 CCL eggs. One of the Layer eggs looks strange to me, it is alive but the air cell seems all weird and zigzagged for some reason. This was not noted at any other candles.

HOWEVER, Air cells look too small, not a drop of water had been added to the cabinetbator, room is varying between 17-22% praying they loose more until hatch. I will continue incubating dry until I notice first internal pips, I will candle several times a day starting Tomorrow, Day 18. When I see an internal I will up humidity.

We also candled the Blue sharpie eggs in the incubator, we had to throw out two more of Harmonys shipped silkies with the terrible air cells. Two silkies remain but are extremely bad and mishaped air cells but praying they hatch for the kiddo. All other eggs look great, we threw one clear Brahma and one clear CCL out.

So far the cabinet is awesome!! Very Very pleased!!

Still not understanding this whole humidity issue all winter long and with the coal stove running down there. air cells are just too small and although they had gotten better since February, its just a very weird winter of hatching as far as weight loss.
hmm.png

UPDATE on eggs in the CABINET COOLER!

We candled and removed 14 eggs from the new Cabinet Coolerbator (RED SHARPIE COLOR CODED EGGS) and put them into "almost" lockdown in the reg coolerbator day 17, they look strong, there are 7 Layer mix eggs and 7 CCL eggs. One of the Layer eggs looks strange to me, it is alive but the air cell seems all weird and zigzagged for some reason. This was not noted at any other candles.

HOWEVER, Air cells look too small, not a drop of water had been added to the cabinetbator, room is varying between 17-22% praying they loose more until hatch. I will continue incubating dry until I notice first internal pips, I will candle several times a day starting Tomorrow, Day 18. When I see an internal I will up humidity.

We also candled the Blue sharpie eggs in the incubator, we had to throw out two more of Harmonys shipped silkies with the terrible air cells. Two silkies remain but are extremely bad and mishaped air cells but praying they hatch for the kiddo. All other eggs look great, we threw one clear Brahma and one clear CCL out.

So far the cabinet is awesome!! Very Very pleased!!

Still not understanding this whole humidity issue all winter long and with the coal stove running down there. air cells are just too small and although they had gotten better since February, its just a very weird winter of hatching as far as weight loss.
hmm.png

I'm still confused on the humidity too. I haven't even put the eggs in because I'm mentally trying to figure out a game plan.... I have no way of knowing what the humidity is in the bator if I don't believe the Acurites, which are now all agreeing with the Brinsea. These are duck eggs, and so I feel they need higher humidity. I am finding conflicting info. Alot are really dirty. I want to wash them, I read if I do I need to up the humidity by 10%. I don't want to wash them all...so only those would need the extra humidity. Now I had to add the turner and readjust the temps for that...ARGH!!!!
barnie.gif
Going to church now...I'll deal with this mess when I get back.

Day 20 one chick is out, five pips also! and two in the few CCL that I put in with them!

looking good! strong and healthy!

CCL ROO mutts.... Light Brahma hen and our BR hens eggs are huge so the chicks are in turn giants! I swear they are as large as a turkey at hatch! We are hatching their eggs for a friend who wants good layers with big eggs. I must weight their eggs, but my digital small pocket scale needs a weird battery.
he.gif
I swear its the FF they had when they were beginning to lay! I must start my batches back up! Just got more ACV and will start as soon as I can drag in a bag of 100lb feed.
hmm.png
Did I mention getting old stinks?

Note this chick doesnt have foot or leg feathers like its mama brahma, and it has a straight comb
hu.gif
genetics is so confusing! but its always cool to see these "mutts" older!

YAY for the chick!

Aren't those weird batteries annoying? And all the small stuff has them...
Oh those bags of feed are crushing!!!

YAY for the chick!

Aren't those weird batteries annoying? And all the small stuff has them...
Oh those bags of feed are crushing!!!
yes very annoying! no wonder the scale was cheap!

We get our dog food like such too, and it has to come up a flight of stairs! HATE THAT! I am going to start 5 gal bucketing it up!

We had an excellent hatch with this smaller batch of eggs that came out of the cooler, we had one malposition that was dead in shell a cll

the rest hatched perfectly! these were in a little more than two weeks in the bator I think!

We had an excellent hatch with this smaller batch of eggs that came out of the cooler, we had one malposition that was dead in shell a cll

the rest hatched perfectly! these were in a little more than two weeks in the bator I think!

YAY!!

Hey Sally, what do you use to measure humidity?

Back
Top Bottom