****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mat2dong, Aug 30, 2012.

1. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Nice! I am going to try it once I get my chickens brothel fixed up.

2. mat2dong

mat2dong Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012

Cool, let me know how it goes!! Post some pictures when you get time:)

3. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    Great idea. I don't have very much room in the coop, I usually feed mine under the coop as It has the room and keeps it out of the rain but come this winter, they will stay in more. I also watched the water video. Thanks for taking the time to do this to show us. Sue

4. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012

Oh, no problem at all Sue!! I try to do a lots of helpful videos on organic gardening, chicken care, building stuff etc. I just like helping out people and I always seem to get a really perspectives from others:)

5. johnmw1

johnmw1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah I could certainly be over thinking it that's for sure.[​IMG]

But having played around for a bit yesterday with different fittings I think I will be going with 2 x 45 deg bends which of course = the 90 deg elbow but the bend is much less severe and the pellets flow so much better. I shall post an image when I get it done.

My next project after this will be starting my mealworm farm, the girls love them, but at retail prices they don't get them often enough.

Cheers,
    John

6. cheecka

cheecka Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Blair, NE
    This is a great idea!

7. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012

Right on:) Post those photo's when you can buddy!

8. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    When you start your meal worm farm keep us posted. My girls love them too and I need a 2nd job just to buy them. I've thought about raising them but was worried about the smell.

My next project after this will be starting my mealworm farm, the girls love them, but at retail prices they don't get them often enough.

Cheers,
    John

Thanks Sue

9. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012

I don't know if you guys have seen this video I did on these beetle grubs that break down waste like crazy!! When they are fully grown I feed them to my chickens:) I like the meal worm idea because you can have them ready year around! Please keep us posted John:)

Here is the setup for my beetle grubs. Check out all the videos I did on these grubs! They can eat 2 pounds of veggie scraps in 2 days!!

10. johnmw1

johnmw1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    Hi Sue & Mat,

Sure would love to keep you updated!

I have been getting all my info from this 400 page plus thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming. I read the first 20 and the last 20 pages of the thread but the most information can be found in the 3 links in the very first post. There is an awful amount of info there, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak. GOOD LUCK [​IMG]

Cheers,
    John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by