****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
You wont have to Kung Fu my head!
I had some time this week and my neighbor pitched in too - and here are the results:
1. I removed the feeder and just left the bend open. I now know that they don't eat all at once, and they are nice girls that take turns, so there is no need for a multi hole feeder.

2. I installed a 45 degree bend, but the food just flew out of it.

3. We fastened a lip to the bend and set it in a more "J" position

4. We put a top on it with a string so I can close it at night, although I think a mouse could probably lift it I might need a better solution than this.

5. I bought different food, it has none of the "dust" so it runs better, but now it still over runs, I tried re-positioning the "J", but I don't yet know if this will work.

I saw you were discussing water systems, so I thought I'd show you mine:

A recycled cooler without its styrofoam hangs on the side of the coop.

I bought this at a pet shop, in the bird section.

The girls like it!

You wont have to Kung Fu my head!
I had some time this week and my neighbor pitched in too - and here are the results:
1. I removed the feeder and just left the bend open. I now know that they don't eat all at once, and they are nice girls that take turns, so there is no need for a multi hole feeder.

2. I installed a 45 degree bend, but the food just flew out of it.

3. We fastened a lip to the bend and set it in a more "J" position

4. We put a top on it with a string so I can close it at night, although I think a mouse could probably lift it I might need a better solution than this.

5. I bought different food, it has none of the "dust" so it runs better, but now it still over runs, I tried re-positioning the "J", but I don't yet know if this will work.
Wow!! Really good job:) You know, for the bottom of the lip of that lid maybe hot glue a magnet in the elbow and another on the inside of the lid! Just glue them to where they touch and that should hole the lid closed to keep out rats but be loose enough for you to open with the string.

Just putting ideas out there but really great job:)

I saw you were discussing water systems, so I thought I'd show you mine:

A recycled cooler without its styrofoam hangs on the side of the coop.

I bought this at a pet shop, in the bird section.

The girls like it!

Nice:) What pet shop did you get that watering part?

Now that's the type of feeder I was looking at but got put off because of the cost of the fittings in those larger diameters.

I did come across another feeder designed here in Oz and can be seen here
which for me looks the ideal setup except I wont be paying for it. If you look closely inside you can see another smaller diameter PVC pipe, but that external diameter still does not look bigger than four inch.

I found another youtube DIY
which shows you how to make it, but to me while the theory is right I'm not sure he has done it correctly? To me there still is not a lot of space for the chooks to get their heads right into the bottom. But I could imagine a six inch setup with a 6inch to three inch reducer(or two inch) and that may work?

Cheers,
John

Now that's the type of feeder I was looking at but got put off because of the cost of the fittings in those larger diameters.

I did come across another feeder designed here in Oz and can be seen here
which for me looks the ideal setup except I wont be paying for it. If you look closely inside you can see another smaller diameter PVC pipe, but that external diameter still does not look bigger than four inch.

I found another youtube DIY
which shows you how to make it, but to me while the theory is right I'm not sure he has done it correctly? To me there still is not a lot of space for the chooks to get their heads right into the bottom. But I could imagine a six inch setup with a 6inch to three inch reducer(or two inch) and that may work?

Cheers,
John

Hey John:)

Have you had a chance to try any of these options? What are you using right now my friend?

Hey John:)
Have you had a chance to try any of these options? What are you using right now my friend?

Hi Mat,

At the moment I'm not using anything, I just throw a handful of scratch out in the mornings with some greens and stuff in the afternoon. I did have that setup in a four inch configuration but was not satisfied with the overall head room for the chook, but hey again I'm probably over thinking it.That first link I like the concept of as it can almost be placed anywhere and be relatively weather proof but I just want it in a bigger diameter.

Cheers,
John

Hi Mat,

At the moment I'm not using anything, I just throw a handful of scratch out in the mornings with some greens and stuff in the afternoon. I did have that setup in a four inch configuration but was not satisfied with the overall head room for the chook, but hey again I'm probably over thinking it.That first link I like the concept of as it can almost be placed anywhere and be relatively weather proof but I just want it in a bigger diameter.

Cheers,
John
Well, has there been one you like yet my friend? Just jump in and do the one you like and see how your chickens like:)

Back
Top Bottom