Is this feeder big enough?

Hannychickenmama

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
I just increased my flock to 7 chickens. I’ve got 3 existing hens and 4 pullets that are merging.

Do you think my existing feeders will give them enough access or do I need to add a third pvc feeder? It’s plenty of food but I want to make sure no one is getting bullied out of a good meal.
IMG_7422.jpeg

Just fine.

We have always went with 1 feed port per every 4 chickens.

If you see a back up or tussling near the feeders, you may want to increase it - but we have been using this amount for years with no problems.
Thanks! I’m hoping I don’t have to change it, but just want to see what the community thinks.

They have lots of space to free range so I’m thinking there won’t be an issue.

Just fine.

We have always went with 1 feed port per every 4 chickens.

If you see a back up or tussling near the feeders, you may want to increase it - but we have been using this amount for years with no problems.
I like your calculation of 4 birds per port. My concern is I have 27 chicks that are 10 days old, and 12-13 birds are feeding at a time. (The feeder has 28 ports). Should I go to 12 ports, or would 8 be enough in your experience? This is new to me, and I don't want any of them not getting enough to eat. Thanks in advance.

I doubt you need that many feeders per bird. More like a dozen birds per feeding space. Morning traffic jams will happen but the pecking order comes into play there so they will do fine.

Feeders are more about the days between refilling for the flock side in my opinion. ICBW

The only thing that I would change for now is to move one of the feeders as far away as possible and maybe out of the line of sight, if possible, birds are prey species and have a wide vision range so you need something blocking the line of sight.

Eventually rodents or wild birds will become an issue with these open feeders. Right now there seems to be some waste from spilled feed. I would carefully monitor your feed consumption, figure a quarter pound per bird, a bit less than 2# per day for seven hens. If you find yourself buying more than a 50 pound sack of feed per month for seven hens you are feeding more than chickens. If so, you are already paying for a good treadle feeder and not getting the benefits of owning one.

I just increased my flock to 7 chickens. I’ve got 3 existing hens and 4 pullets that are merging.

Do you think my existing feeders will give them enough access or do I need to add a third pvc feeder? It’s plenty of food but I want to make sure no one is getting bullied out of a good meal. View attachment 3496935
Really love what you have done here. For a very non DIY person, could you say exactly what PVC elbow angles (45 or 90) this was and how you connected the pieces? Also, it looks like you have rat proof caps for night-time at top - were these push on or screw in? And what do you call the metal tape stuff that you used to attach?

What is that thing to the right of yhe PVC pipes?

Def agree with this:
The only thing that I would change for now is to move one of the feeders as far away as possible and maybe out of the line of sight, if possible,
This, more than anything, will prevent the older birds from bullying the younger ones and keeping them from eating. You should also have multiple waterers out of sight from each other. Good luck!

Really love what you have done here. For a very non DIY person, could you say exactly what PVC elbow angles (45 or 90) this was and how you connected the pieces? Also, it looks like you have rat proof caps for night-time at top - were these push on or screw in? And what do you call the metal tape stuff that you used to attach?
That is called plumbers tape, that is the old name, sometimes called perforated hanger strap.

It looks like a 90 degree elbow at the bottom, then a 45 degree elbow before the short straight section. You can get an elbow called a street elbow that has one female end for the tall vertical pvc pipe and the other end is a male end that will slip into one end of the 45 degree elbow. Or use plain fittings and use a short section of straight pipe. Then a bit of PVC cement and you can join the fittings and pipe.

I wouldn't call anything made out of PVC rat proof. They will chew through the pipe at night if you already have a colony. They know where the feed is, they have been eating it during the day.

But, this is all I had when starting my flock many years ago and it worked till it didn't and I got overran with rats.

Back
Top Bottom