****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
So they have to get their heads in deeper, and can't fling food this way? I could try that and still close the same lid at night. Do you think the mice get at the food while the chickens are up and about? If not, I could still leave the lid open all day, while I am at work and close it at night when the girls go to sleep.

That's what I'm doing we just cover and uncover as part of locking them up. You may get an occasional mouse of a day but I think most of the problems would be at night. Same as when they get in your house.

Oh and yes the bend makes it deeper so more that is flicked is diverted back in and the same end piece fits it.

What I did with my last one which I prefer is I bought a T piece. The tube goes in the middle and I put a 45deg bend on either side with lid for nighttime. I don't glue so I can turn it slightly to the front for the smaller pullets and the straighten back up as they get big enough to reach in from directly above. So far this has been the best for less mess and it also gives me two feeders on one tube which is better for my four little girls.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the mice come out at night. My friend told me she observed her chickens chasing and catching mice, so closing it will curb the problem. But I need to stop the flinging, food all over the floor is food for mice at night. I like the steeper pipe in the picture posted a few pages back, I have to get to a store and see if I can but one. This might be a good solution.

That's how I made mine but I'm getting a lot of food scrapped out onto the floor.

I added a 22deg bend piece over the opening which helped make it further from where they scratch at the food to the opening

Great idea! Do you think you could post a picture so I can see how you have the 22degree angle attached?

This is how I'm doing it now. A t piece and 2x45 deg bends either end. Works great for no mess

The food below fell out when I changed from the 90deg angle to this, not from them scraping it out.

Last edited:
Chicken waterer!!
Matt, I found the bottom of the bottle to be a little too thin and therefore didn't have enough bite to hold the nipple in with chicks pecking at it. So I flipped the bottle upside down and put the nipple in the cap. It is thicker so more area of contact with the threads on the nipple. I also wrapped a little plumbers tephlon tape around the threads on the nipple before screwing it to the cap, so no leaks! Here is a picture of mine using a Dasani bottle. The caps are universal so I can use it on any size Dasani bottle, just poke a tiny hole in the bottom of the bottle before screwing on the cap and filling. Great when I only need a little one for baby chicks, then move to a bigger one as they grow and drink more water.

I put in a pipe feeder a couple of months back and it works GREAT! Mine is the type with a couple of elbows that they reach into. The only problem I've found is that my roo bumps his comb when he eats. I don't know if it bothers him (it would bother me..) but I have noticed that he feels a little thinner than the girls and I wonder if he's not getting quite enough. I didn't want to put in the type with the trough cut out in it because one of my girls will stand there all day and scoop the feed out onto the floor.
I'm hoping to put in one of the chicken trigger feeders this weekend...... of course, I've been saying that for about 3 weeks now.... :rolleyes:

I like this design it looks great, the only thing I would change (since it's bothering your rooster) is cut a notch out at the top of the pipe so that he can fit his whole head in there:)

I don't know why but this pipe feeder makes me want to say Ricola!!

we used this design but the food keeps getting damp and stuck in the elbow. Does this happen to anyone else? I can't figure out how it's happening? Could it be from them breathing in the tube?

Back
Top Bottom