****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
Is the angled part at the bottom 1 piece or 2 (trying to figure the angle used). I'm going to do 5 of these but I'm putting the pipes on the outside and cut a hole just the size it need to slip through.

I'm having a HORRIBLE time finding 3 or 4" PVC here, can I use ABS?

With my chicken nipples being fed from a bucket that being filled by catchment and the little project I'm gonna add to the feed tubes, I should be able to tell food and water issues when I'm walking out. More time to enjoy with my girls!!

We have BIG problems w/ starlings here....maybe this will help a little. Also....does anyone have trouble w/ chickens trying to roost on this?

Great idea!!!

I've seen some photos of these feeders (mine are about half-done), where they took out the knockout caps:

They cut them in half and glued them into the 45° at the bottom, so only the top half was open for the chickens head! They said it completely stopped the food being tossed around. And I've read put them at back height. I haven't finished mine because my oldest are 9-weeks and my youngest are 5-weeks and I don't think they'll be able to reach at an adult hens "back" height.

Anyway, so there's another idea for you!!

Aloha,
Tina

We have BIG problems w/ starlings here....maybe this will help a little.  Also....does anyone have trouble w/ chickens trying to roost on this?

I'm going to drill just a hole big enough for the 90° to fit through, then add the 45° from the inside with the rest outside (spaced with some 2x4's so the 45° bend is tight against the coop wall. This should make it so only about 3/4" is sticking out... Too small for roosting!

Aloha,
Tina

Last edited:
I used 3" but I think 4" would work as well, just harder for me to get fittings for the 4" here on the island!

Tina

I made this pipe feeder and my feed doesn't seem to flow down to the end it just kind of puddles at the back end I tried tipping it down a bit but it doesn't move. Could it also be because of the starter crumples rather then pellets?
(Sorry of this was already answered)

Back
Top Bottom