DIY chicken waterer

Ladybluearm

Songster
5 Years
May 5, 2018
Fayette County Texas
Would like to see some diy waterers that are used. I have 17 hens and 2 roosters and would like to have a better water system for them, occasionally we go out of town so it needs to be something that would hold 5 gallons or so or something that would be hooked to a water hose. Thanks

Would like to see some diy waterers that are used. I have 17 hens and 2 roosters and would like to have a better water system for them, occasionally we go out of town so it needs to be something that would hold 5 gallons or so or something that would be hooked to a water hose. Thanks
This is what I use for my 70+ chickens.😊
E1844778-741B-470F-B61C-5B5805B9F99B.jpeg

Not the best photo, but I love the one I made - 4" PVC with vertical poultry nipples. The great thing is that you can size it to scale, to match your needs & infrastructure. I even have a few vertical pipes that are about 2' long & hold about 1 gallon of water that are nice bc I can hang them just about anywhere. This is the last batch of babies on their first day in the big bird run!
20200701_145308.jpg

Make 1 or 2 horizontal nipple waterers, using 5 gallon buckets. I use 14 gallon drums, the water stays clean with the nipples, I top the water off once a week. You may not need it heated, but I'll attach my article on how to make a heated waterer with nipples.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

View attachment 2841887
Any issues with leaking on the horizontal nipples? I have poultry cups right now and even with sealant there is leaking

Any issues with leaking on the horizontal nipples? I have poultry cups right now and even with sealant there is leaking
No, drill the correct size hole, 11/32, to screw them in and leave 2 - 3 threads showing, don't screw them all the way in. I've never had any leak around the threads. They could leak around the pin, if a piece of dirt gets between the o ring where it seals. Simple fix usually, just keep toggling the pin to flush the nipple clean or run a finger around the o ring, to dislodge dirt, as your tapping the nipple. If that doesn't work, change the nipple out, the o ring may have a defect. It's not a regular occurrence. I've only changed a few in 5 - 6 years. I have 5 or 6 waterers that are used off and on, besides the 2 drums. Both drums have 8 nipples and the others have 3 - 6 nipples each. I have a lot of nipples in use, so a few that had issues is not a big deal to me.

Last edited:

My 2 buckets are pushing 3 years old now and I've only ever had to replace one nipple that developed a small dribble over time. I started with the cups and hated them from day one. Only used the for about a month. Swapped over to the vertical ones and hated them. They froze and busted on me one winter even with a heater in the bucket. Wish I woulda listened and went with the horizontal ones from the get go.

I still have some vertical ones I use in a brooder but it never sees freezing temps and they still work. They will be swapped out most likely later this year.

Back
Top Bottom