DIY Coop in progress

Looking good. If you only have 3 hens, your not going to need 4 nest boxes. 2 will be plenty, and realistically, they will probably all use the same one.
Thank you! I have 2 for now but my max for hens is 6. I wanted to use as much of that end wall as possible & it’s 4 ft wide. Currently looking for other decorating ideas

I like your hat.

Not saying that it will happen, but you may get a sickness called "chicken math" where you forget how many chickens you have and suddenly the number has doubled. Or tripled. Make sure you have enough perches for them all.

It is looking good. I think a metal roof is a good idea.
Thank you! I’m already having chicken fever but I live in city limits so my max is 6 😢

Just to clarify, is this all the ventilation? 2" on three sides, nothing on fourth? Or is fourth wall completely open with hardware cloth?
Is that not enough? I’m saying 2 inches but the roof slopes down. It’s 2 inches at the lowest end on the side I measured but the gap will go all the way across. This my first time ever trying to build something myself so I’m doing it piece by piece. The 4th wall I’m not 100% on the design of it yet so it’ll be last.

Is that not enough? I’m saying 2 inches but the roof slopes down. It’s 2 inches at the lowest end on the side I measured but the gap will go all the way across. This my first time ever trying to build something myself so I’m doing it piece by piece. The 4th wall I’m not 100% on the design of it yet so it’ll be last.
You're in a hot and humid climate. The minimum recommended ventilation is 1 sq ft per bird, but in hotter climates something like 3x that would be better.

Maybe consider bigger gaps (like 4-6") at the top, and if rain protection is needed, big roof overhangs are recommended, and/or top hinged panels that can be propped open, like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

And the 4th wall can be wire mesh, or if facing into a completely predator proof run, you could not have a 4th wall at all.

Various examples of open air coops/coop & run combos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wanted-open-air-coop-pics.1489579/#post-24837648

Back
Top Bottom