DIY Duck Feed vs DIY Chicken Feed

Also, they look quite a bit smaller, and there are hawks around, Red shouldered I believe. As far as I know they don't get big chickens, but I don't know about little ones. Still, I will look into it a bit further.
Red Tails will absolutely take bigger chickens. They will drop on them and eat the chickens where they kill them.

Hawks, eagles, feral cats, and the local dogs (mine and my neighbors) are why I don't free range. I think of my chickens as "petstock." More than just livestock for their eggs, but not on quite the same footing as my dog, who is a member of the family.

I will be looking into the nutritional value of more of my garden crops to see if I can give them to the chickens as part of their feed. And I have acres of weeds, some of which I bet would benefit them as well.

Red Tails will absolutely take bigger chickens. They will drop on them and eat the chickens where they kill them.
The ones we have are Red Shouldered hawks. I believe they are smaller than the red tailed hawks. The neighbors have chickens and they don't seem overly interested; however the neighbors also keep them penned.

The ones we have are Red Shouldered hawks. I believe they are smaller than the red tailed hawks. The neighbors have chickens and they don't seem overly interested; however the neighbors also keep them penned.
Oh, I totally read your first post as red tail! Haha! You are right about them not bothering larger chickens as much.

We lost a pretty big hen yesterday to what I think was a RSH. It could have been a red tail, but we have a RSH nest just beyond our paddock, so I figured that was the villain.

I should've mentioned there is some room to free range, though I have no idea how long that would last. I would think free ranging and some legumes would work?
Do you get enough precipitation for things to regenerate? Again too, ducks are incredible terra-formers, so the viability of the available real estate will increase!
Oh, did I say ducks already? I really meant to say Indian Runners!
https://www.businessinsider.com/thailand-farmers-field-chasing-ducks-rice-paddies-2020-10

The tractor suppy/purina food conversation is pretty heavy on here but I think it's overdone. A company is allowed to change ingredients. The other conversation is about lower methionine and lysine I'll get off my soap box now.
Well, Purina is owned by Nestle, and I don't patronize Nestle.
Let's not forget that GMO's and Roundup Ready grains don't have Tryptophan because that's how Glyphosate works; disruption the Tryptophan, which is an essential amino acid, to kill weeds, as if Glyphosate isn't dangerous enough on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom