1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

DIY egg slide

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jengrantmorris, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jengrantmorris

jengrantmorris In the Brooder

Hi all. I am new to posting but have been a reader for a while. We have 4 hens, but only 3 are laying. Anyway, I wanted a way of rotating the eggs and came up with this device which I thought I'd share here. I started with two white metal poles. These (and more of the same) were salvaged from the side of the road where someone was throwing them out. I think they are from a gazebo or something. I snagged them to use as plant supports, which is exactly what we used some of them for last summer.

These particular pieces are each 67cm / 26.5 inches long.

[​IMG]

DH cut me two little pieces of moulding. Any shape of wood would do but this is what we had.

[​IMG]

I painted the moulding, then hot glued one piece on top of the poles like this:

[​IMG]

And the other underneath like this:

[​IMG]

Voila, an egg slide! Take eggs from the right, and they all roll down. Place fresh eggs on the left. This ensures that all of the eggs are used in order. Plus I like how it looks sitting on the counter. If it becomes too full then I have a baking day :)

[​IMG]

2. Morndew247

Morndew247 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My Coop
    I love it, but I still can't get past my first 43 years of life and leave my eggs out LOL.

3. jengrantmorris

LOL I lived in South Africa for my first 24 years, then England for the next 11 and now New Zealand - and in each of these countries eggs are sold unrefrigerated, off the shelf, so I have no qualms leaving my hens' fresh unwashed eggs out!

4. Morndew247

Apr 15, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My Coop
    I might try and convince myself, but truth is, I have more room in my fridge than ion my counters! I wonder if there is a detriment to keeping them in the fridge. Hmm. I had trouble eating the first eggs too. I'm like most of America I think. Conditioned. It seemed wrong to eat something that didn't come from the store Lol. Luckily I'm getting over it!

5. sonyaj

sonyaj Hatching

Sep 2, 2013
    san antonio texas
    I gave away my first couple dozen eggs. I was afraid to eat them as well. My husband and kids ate some. I keep mine in the fridge though I know its perfectly safe to leave them out lol. Its just...I had never had a fresh egg before. Always store bought. But....I bought these hens for fresh eggs...and fresh eggs I have. Just need to get past my fears lol

6. Morndew247

Apr 15, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My Coop
    LOL I can't tell you how much this makes me feel better!!!

7. jaxchic

jaxchic Chirping

Aug 9, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you!

8. jengrantmorris

Awesome!! That totally made my day :)

9. jaxchic

jaxchic Chirping

Aug 9, 2013
    Florida
    I think I may make a small one for my quail eggs :)
    It is a great idea, I have been looking at egg skelters forever, but they are so expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by