DIY feed

Ashmab12

Chirping
Jan 15, 2019
South Carolina
We are making our own chick feed. The recipe I’m using calls for molasses. The recipe says to put it slowly through the blender while adding the molasses. Will this become a sticky mess or what? Anybody done this and have any suggestions?

Whats the recipe? I can't imagine how you are making chicken feed in a blender. Both due to the size of a blender and also the fact that it would grind/pulverize it to dust? Either that or you do end up with a solid mass of food whipping around in the blender, like a big ball of play dough or a lump of uncooked bread dough, like you theorize.

Whats the recipe? I can't imagine how you are making chicken feed in a blender. Both due to the size of a blender and also the fact that it would grind/pulverize it to dust? Either that or you do end up with a solid mass of food whipping around in the blender, like a big ball of play dough or a lump of uncooked bread dough, like you theorize.

I’m only blending it for the chicks.
Corn
Peas
Flax
Millet
And a few other things but those are the biggest things.

Are you concerned that the mix most likely lacks the trace vitamins and minerals found in a commercial feed? Especially since we are talking about chicks.

I would assume that the recipe calls for the molasses to be put in slowly as you blend so that it binds all the fine dust and powder. I bet it will be really tricky to get the ratios correct so that it does not turn into a dough ball. I suppose even if it does, you could break it into crumbles by hand, or wet it a lot more when feeding to make it more of a mash/soupy consistency.

The molassis has been added to animal feed for at least a century.... It has trace minerals and was considered a good source.

But... They molassis they are speaking of is NOT the one you get from the grocery store... It is livestock molassis... and it is NOT sweet. Smells awesome though

Uesd to be you could get Alfalfa and Molassis in big burlap bags.... it was sticky and messy and worth the effort because you could hide medicine if need be in the feed for horses.

upload_2019-2-7_2-12-57.png

The beauty of it as well is its pretty sticky and keeps the dust down in the feed.

deb

Are you concerned that the mix most likely lacks the trace vitamins and minerals found in a commercial feed? Especially since we are talking about chicks.

I would assume that the recipe calls for the molasses to be put in slowly as you blend so that it binds all the fine dust and powder. I bet it will be really tricky to get the ratios correct so that it does not turn into a dough ball. I suppose even if it does, you could break it into crumbles by hand, or wet it a lot more when feeding to make it more of a mash/soupy consistency.
YES that will be a concern but for the amount that will fit in the blender I suspect it will be no more than a table spoon full. Belive me its like thick honey .

I too worry about the actual content of making food your self for the chicks... Getting Riboflavens and micronutrients in the correct proportions.

deb

We are making our own chick feed. The recipe I’m using calls for molasses. The recipe says to put it slowly through the blender while adding the molasses. Will this become a sticky mess or what? Anybody done this and have any suggestions?
I have not made chicken feed but I have used livestock molassis for horses.... This is not a sweet concotion. Its the absololute remains of the sugar making process when all the sugar has been removed.

And YEs it is sticky But I suspece the ratio of molasis to feed is very small only enough to capture the little particles and keep them from flying about.

YOu can also ferment chicken feed that includes baby chick feed... The process benefits and is well documented on one of the biggest threads here on BYC.

There are pros and cons... My climate is too hot...

deb

The molassis has been added to animal feed for at least a century.... It has trace minerals and was considered a good source.

But... They molassis they are speaking of is NOT the one you get from the grocery store... It is livestock molassis... and it is NOT sweet. Smells awesome though

Uesd to be you could get Alfalfa and Molassis in big burlap bags.... it was sticky and messy and worth the effort because you could hide medicine if need be in the feed for horses.

View attachment 1666140

The beauty of it as well is its pretty sticky and keeps the dust down in the feed.

deb
Yes, I am using livestock molasses. Like I said that’s not all I’m putting in the feed.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but you may want to post the entire recipe or process since you keep making statements about "that’s not all I’m putting in". How can we give advice if we don't know all that you are trying to combine? If you tell me you are going to add a tablespoon of molasses and 5 pounds of corn starch, then no, it won't be sticky. See what I mean? :confused: Give us some quantities. :pop

Here is a hack, blend the molasses with another ingredient let say you are using cor; so blend the molasses with 10-20 kg of corn and make sure the blend is a perfect mix, then add this mix to the rest of the ingredients. This will make the process very easy

Back
Top Bottom