DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

The loppers dont take the head right off but they do seperate teh neck bones which kills the chicken. With an older rooster I find I have to put lots of downward pressure after I close the jaws on the neck but it works just fine. For me! For others, whatever works for you is the best way.

Quote:

This is exactly why I won't use loppers to kill a chicken. I tried cutting off the head of a dead rooster, before processing it, and all the loppers did was to bend the neck. I tried and tried to get it to cut clean through but it couldn't seem to pierce the skin. These are the same loppers that will easily cut through a 2 inch tree branch.

This is what everyone I know, and what all my research has pointed me to.

Hope it helps:

Video 1:
Video 2:

Josh

This is what everyone I know, and what all my research has pointed me to.

Hope it helps:

Video 1:
Video 2:

Josh

I only watched both videos for less than a few seconds before I could tell these people were relatively new at butchering chickens and it amazes me that they are teaching others. I applaud them for even doing their own and trying to help others do the same but their technique needs some fine tuning.

In video 1 they were telling the people to hold the killing cone while the other killed the bird~usually the killing cone is fastened to an object for better stability and ease of use. Also chasing the chicken down to kill it...most folks like to process calm birds whose meat won't be chalk full of adrenalin so they prepare by isolating and containing these birds the night before and usually they are taken calmly off the roosts. Video 2 the fellow practically cooked his bird right there...too long in the scald water and not necessary~I didn't watch any further.

Not trying to put them down or to be hyper-critical so I didn't bother to watch the rest for any other rookie material, but there are probably a few YouTube videos out there with a better demonstration of processing if you look a little harder.

There really is a lot of information being posted about processing chickens, I guess there's more being added every month. Some will have sound, helpful information, some others will be a waste of your time to watch. I agree with Beekissed's assessment of the beginnings of those videos, I wonder if those people flip a coin to see who gets to do the cutting and who has to hold the killing cone in their hands.

I did watch them all the way through and saw them do some things in ways I prefer, and other things in ways that make me go "huh?" Such as holding the chicken in one hand in order to pluck it with the other. Why not hang them by their legs so you can use both hands at once?

There are a lot of different ways to get to the same end, an edible chicken. I think it helps to look at a lot of different videos to get informed, then go out and process chickens on your own. The chickens themselves will teach you what to do & how to do it, you'll find the methods that work the best for you. You'll probably learn new things each time that will make the next session go even better & faster.

I thought these videos were interesting. Again, she does some things in ways that I would not do, but I enjoyed hearing her ideas about the whole matter:

There really is a lot of information being posted about processing chickens, I guess there's more being added every month.  Some will have sound, helpful information, some others will be a waste of your time to watch.  I agree with Beekissed's assessment of the beginnings of those videos, I wonder if those people flip a coin to see who gets to do the cutting and who has to hold the killing cone in their hands. 

I did watch them all the way through and saw them do some things in ways I prefer, and other things in ways that make me go "huh?"  Such as holding the chicken in one hand in order to pluck it with the other.  Why not hang them by their legs so you can use both hands at once?

There are a lot of different ways to get to the same end, an edible chicken.  I think it helps to look at a lot of different videos to get informed, then go out and process chickens on your own.  The chickens themselves will teach you what to do & how to do it, you'll find the methods that work the best for you.  You'll probably learn new things each time that will make the next session go even better & faster.

I thought these videos were interesting.  Again, she does some things in ways that I would not do, but I enjoyed hearing her ideas about the whole matter:

That is my favorite video on killing a chicken. She feels pretty much the same way I do about it all. But like you, I don't do everything the way she does.

I processed 13 chickens today. The video helped a lot. I also had a more experienced friend come by and show me some tricks.

If it helps anyone, turkey fryers are on clearance at Wal-mart. Look for the older model. The new ones are about 65 bucks, the older models are 35.

My friend showed me a football hold. Tuck the wings between your torso and arm, so you can hold a knife with that hand as well. use your opposite side to pull the neck forward, and make your slice. This is helpful when its just you.

After 13 rounds of practice, I noticed the kill cone was basically useless without a person. What do you use for a kill cone? I was using a modified gallon milk jug. I have a feeling a traffic cone or something might work better? I'd love some advice on streamlining that part of the process.

Thanks!

Here's a 2 gal. bleach jug in action:

I can't imagine trying to hold the bird in one arm and cutting it's throat with the other hand...don't you folks have a fence or a tree in your yard to attach a killing cone to? If not, I'd devise a place for a killing station...just makes your life easier all the way around.

Last edited:
Yeah, the kill cones are supposed to be attached to something, not held by yourself or someone else. Magically you then have both hands free to work and do it by yourself.

About gassing, are you going to eat these birds? If you are trying to raise birds for meat, then you should be trying to raise healthier meat, with as little chemical pollution as possible.

Use a sharp Axe. Hang them from their feet, even if it seems mean, the funnels are a waste of time and money, the chickens flop out of them, and roll in the dirt, very un-clean.

If you don't want to do this yourself, use a processor. The quickest, most humane way is to remove their heads, it is over instantly for them.

Back
Top Bottom