DIY Incubator Build Kits-What would want in one?

RoosterGeek

Songster
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Lebanon, TN
I've seen a lot of BYC members post pictures of their wonderful DIY and home brew incubators. The complexity varies from a simple foam cooler and a lightbulb to converted refrigerators with temperature, humidity, and egg rotation control. The common theme (IMO) though, is that folks tend to forgo the conventional incubators (and high price) and make their own. After looking at various models, I've found that even entry level incubators are extraordinarily basic. A Hovabator or LG with fan and egg turner can easily run over 80 bucks. That's a bit nuts for what is essentially a styrofoam box with a few innards.

That got me thinking. What would I want in an incubator? Price temperature control, humidity control, and an egg turner. It would also be nice to be upgrade it or move it to new DIY incubator. A kit would be perfect for that! And the closest thing that comes to it is the IncuKit, which can only go up to 150 watts.

I talked to a friend of mine that is very knowledge with programming and has even worked on a few competitive robots. He said he would be interested helping me make a kit.

If we could get it made at a reasonable, cost we might could even get it manufactured. That is if there is enough interest.

So is there any interest in a kit that you could throw into a fridge/freezer or other readily available container?

If so:
1. What features would you want in it?
2. What's a reasonable price?
3. How modular would you want it? (As in able to remove and add features)

What I'm thinking is something similar to the IncuKit but with the ability to control humidity, an egg turner, add bigger heater sources for bigger incubators.

Tell me your thoughts please!

Well in my situation is affordability. I have about $40 if I was to buy all the stuff I made mine from.

To buy just the hova or LG I was looking at close to $50 plus another $50 for a turner.

To not be sure if I'm going to enjoy hatching.

As far as Features. Main thing I see i people having to add water during lockdown.

Well my big thing with my coleman-bator as a few call it affectionately a kill switch for the fan is a good feature. Easily moved an adjusted thermostat. I personally like turning by hand... So mine doesn't have a turner... But if it did have a turner it would be nice for it to have a turner without spacing between them in case the chicks hatched unexpectedly... Orrrr the ability to stop certain rows from turning.. But thats just me thinking of my fear of turners...

On some of the models that i have seen they have put a light to candle the eggs..I think that is cool and handy because my 4 year old seems to take off with the flashlight.

Quote:
What all did you put in yours? What's it made out of?

Last night I came up with an idea for stacking egg trays that allow you to link up and rotate the eggs. I thought that would be nifty. Those darn trays they sell are so expensive. I also realized that I didn't list want I would want in a hobby kit!
roll.png

Auto egg turner
Humidity Controller
Temperature Controller
Fan Control
Ability to Use any heat source (heat bulb, heating rope, flex watt tape)
And in my dream world, an ability to receive temperature data on my computer.
lol.png

So, basically I want a super duper sportsman incubator. lol

Quote: We do offer a 225 Watt IncuKit. This unit controls everything but the humidity. You can see more details here. We are also developing a humidity kit. This kit will be able to connect to any incubator and will come with a hygrostat. It will keep the humidity within your desired percentage within a tight range.

Last edited:
Basics - you will need a thermostat switch that can be adjsted & set -
You will need a heat source that is turned on & off by the thermostat switch
Maybe a fan?

So - basic kit - that's all you need - maybe toss in a hygrometer - cheap temp/humidity can be had at walmart for less than $20

Offer this kit for $20 & you will sell a TON of them - heat source can be light sockets - buyer to provide the bulbs.

Stage II kit - just what is above plus a turner - I bought my hovabator turner & use it inside my DIY bator. It was $40

So if you sell Stage II for less than $60 - people will buy it -

Some people like to mess with the eggs all the time - they dont need a turner - others who incubate all the time, get tired of monkeying with them & want the turner.

There are 2 things that people struggle with when building their own kit.
1) Thermostat & wiring in the heat source to the thermostat. It's not that complicated - but it's more than most people ever have to do with electricity - so a simple cheap self contained unit would be great.

2) Turner - when to switch on, when to switch off - the mechanics of making it move - not too fast etc - people have built them - but it intimidates most people. For me - it was well worth the $40 to get the turner - I may buy another as I have room in the bator.

If there is a way to provide both of those cheap - to add to your own fridge, cooler or car trunk, fish tank, whatever you can imagine - people will want to try it out.

Love my Digital thermostat and temp probe from Incubator Warehouse.
The 110 volt horseshoe shaped heating Elements are really simple to wire from Them also. Also use their Axial fans for circulation and also behind the heating Elements. These come with very simple diagram for wiring.

~~Powerful Axial Fan for Cabinet Egg Incubator 110V AC 1014 1 $19.99
Digital Electronic Egg Incubator Thermostat with Remote Sensor 110V 1110 1 $49.99
100 watt tube heater 110V heating element for egg incubators NEW 1034 1 $12.00

Subtotal $81.98

Back
Top Bottom