Diy incubator

That is really cool!!! The only thing I would be concerned about is ventilation. I don't see any places where air can get in but I could be wrong. Proper ventilation is just as important as temperature and humidity, without fresh air the embryos can't breath. Even right from the front as soon as they get lungs they absorb oxygen though the small pores in the eggshell to breath. But that is a really cool idea!!! I hope it all works out and get a good hatch rate! Keep us updated!

Also one more thing since you don't have a fan installed make sure to rotate where the eggs are sitting because the ones the closest to the lightbulb can get too hot and the ones farthest could get too cold. That's cool that you got a dozen eggs to fit in there! Why kind of eggs are you planning on incubating?

Also one more thing since you don't have a fan installed make sure to rotate where the eggs are sitting because the ones the closest to the lightbulb can get too hot and the ones farthest could get too cold. That's cool that you got a dozen eggs to fit in there! Why kind of eggs are you planning on incubating?

I am turning them and rotating the rows 3 times a day, I could fit 12 in there but I only have 8 in right now, since they were the only ones out of the neglected clutch that looked viable (but iffy) I have 2 production red hens and a production red rooster in the coop I got these out of, so they are my own eggs. I'm not holding out much hope but it would be cool if atleast one of them hatched!

Last edited:
And if all eles fails with this batch maybe I'll work out all the kinks of my homemade incubator and start over with a fresh batch just to see if it can work.

If at first you don't succeed try try again!!

I'm gonna try with this batch because I basically had to, but like I said most of them where iffy when candeled, if none of them make it, i will try 1 more that come straight from the coop to the bator, but if they also don't hatch I'll be done with my homemade incubator and when I'm really ready to start selling chicks I'll buy a quality incubator and do it right! But I already made this one and I seem to have 1 good egg so why not give it a shot right?
Here's the one I'm talking about its the only one that really seems to be developing, the others kind of seem to have incomplete blood rings but I was told not to toss them until day 14 candeling, by this one I think I'm on day 6

I had great success also with my TSC Little Giant still air Incubators. I think people give them a bad reputation because they require a little more work to get their temps stabilized than the more expensive incubators but with some patience they work really well. Just make sure you always calibrate and test the thermometers that come with those. Those have been known to read a little off. Your incubator is only as good as your thermometer. Well technically your heat and humidity too. But you get the picture. Lol

I have a lil giant incubator and how do i calibrate the temp and humdity controller it came with. I have tried 3 times to hatch eggs out of it and have failed each time i did crack open the eggs and some were only half developed but some were fully developed but had not absorbed the yoke do u know what happened?

To momma coop. Take a thermometer and place it directly on a 3-4 testereggs it can take up to 2 days to calibrate an incubator and patience is key. If Temps are to low you will end up will underdeveloped eggs and possibly week chicks if any do hatch.. vice versa to hot will cook them. 99.9 is even 100 is okay but you have to have that temp just right before you start with a new clutch trust me. I failed my first 4 hatches abut 3 years ago and I'm on like my 70th hatch no lol... flipping is key water is key Temps are everything. If you have any other questions please ask!!

I'm gonna try with this batch because I basically had to, but like I said most of them where iffy when candeled, if none of them make it, i will try 1 more that come straight from the coop to the bator, but if they also don't hatch I'll be done with my homemade incubator and when I'm really ready to start selling chicks I'll buy a quality incubator and do it right! But I already made this one and I seem to have 1 good egg so why not give it a shot right?
Here's the one I'm talking about its the only one that really seems to be developing, the others kind of seem to have incomplete blood rings but I was told not to toss them until day 14 candeling, by this one I think I'm on day 6

Yes that is a good egg. I have LOTS candle pics I could share if you ever need them

I have a lil giant incubator and how do i calibrate the temp and humdity controller it came with. I have tried 3 times to hatch eggs out of it and have failed each time i did crack open the eggs and some were only half developed but some were fully developed but had not absorbed the yoke do u know what happened?
Don't use that as a guide for what temp it is..... Get 2+ aquarium thermometers, calibrate them using the ice water method (make sure you get one that goes down to 32 degrees) and use them to determine whether you should adjust the temp or not.

Eggtopsy info isn't enough for me to determine cause of death (it could also be bacterial infection, etc) but I suspect it is temp swings. Good luck!!

I agree I use 2 seperate thermometer in mine I have digital incubators as well I pay no attention to what it says it is because it's never right. Go on ebay there are a lot of one's on there or I can share my link to the 2 I have that work fantastic!!!

Back
Top Bottom