DIY Instructions for Very EASY heated waterer for under $20 bucks

so..... dumb question or two.... (lol now it is testing my memory, as I can't see the article again) I get the tetra heater. why the pump? and what is the other thing and where do I get it?? the thermocube.

so..... dumb question or two....  (lol  now it is testing my memory, as I can't see the article again)  I get the tetra heater.  why the pump?  and what is the other thing and where do I get it??  the thermocube. 

The pump is so the water gets circulated. The heater only heats the water around it, so by circulating the water, everything gets warmed and no top layer freezing occurs. :)

During the summer, you don't need either the pump or the heater. They are simply winter precautions. :)

so..... dumb question or two.... (lol now it is testing my memory, as I can't see the article again) I get the tetra heater. why the pump? and what is the other thing and where do I get it?? the thermocube.
You can get a thermocube at home depot, probably other big box stores have them too...or you can order online.

Glad to help you.........

Purchase 5 nipples for $13 off Ebay. Search "5 HORIZONTAL POULTRY - CHICKEN WATERING NIPPLES". There's only 1 guy that sells them.

Find any bucket, a drill and drill bit a little smaller than the screw-in-nipple (I don't know the size I just eye-balled it) - The ebay ad says a 3/8" drill bit.

Drill a hole about 1" to 1-1/2" off the bottom of the bucket. That way if there is any dirt that gets in the bucket it will sink and not plug the nipple.

Screw in the nipple. It's self sealing so it doesn't leak. Put the top on the bucket. Put the bucket on a brick or something to lift it a bit so the girls don't have to bend down to get it. Done!

Make sure to remove ALL other water sources when you introduce this new bucket. Tap the nipple a few times so they see you doing it and the water drip coming out..... then wait. Within 60 minutes they should figure it out!

If you have any other questions let me know. :)

Is this the right thing to buy from ebay? Thx!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Solway-HO...850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33950aa4e2

Just set mine up after having the a night with a low of 29°F. I did mine with a 5 gallon bucket and got a screw-on lid. I saw nothing that referenced what to do with the cords for the pump and heater, so I just drilled a hole in the top back of the bucket (between the top edge and the first "ring" down from the top) large enough for the plugs to pass through, put both appliances into the bucket, then attached the screw on lid. The part of the lid that permanently attaches to the bucket covers the hole perfectly, with just enough clearance for the cords so that they're not pinched. I put two of the horizontal nipples on my bucket so far, and already had a hen figure it out while I was standing there, even though there are 3 other sources of water out there at the moment. (I will remove those, but after the water froze last night I wanted to be sure everyone had plenty to drink this morning.) I'm hoping my two ducks get the hang of this too! I'll provide them with a heated bowl as well to clean their faces, but it'll be nice not to have to clean that out and refill it multiple times per day as my only source of heated water.

Thank you so much for a wonderful idea and directions! I have a feeling this is going to make my life loads easier. My next project is the feeder bucket... :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom