DIY - Making a down comforter from duck feathers and down

You might open the dry pods carefully and the floss comes out in clumps, usually with seeds mostly in one place. Take small sharp scissors and cut off the seeds. Keep the floss all in a clump and very gently put at the bottom of a pillowcase.

Don't forget to toss the seeds around for next year's Monarchs.

I haven't done any pillows but this is how I save my seeds. They don't fly away from you if you clip their wings. Lol

Hi,
Thanks for the directions!

I've actually kind of perfected a kind of one-woman assembly-line technique with separating the pods, seeds and floss. I'll give the seeds to the Suzuki Foundation initiative, the pods go in the compost and I'm saving the floss.

However, I really need to know how much down/floss might be needed, either by weight or "packed" volume ... I could say I have enough floss for a decent pillow, but I've no idea about doing a quilt/duvet ...

And I wondered if anyone who's handled down (probably comparable in terms of fly-away-ness) might be able to offer suggestions for the actual stuffing operation, to keep the whole house from becoming infiltrated!

It's not a subject I've found resources for on the net! In fact, searching down led me to this forum!

TIA for any suggestions anyone might be able to offer!

<sigh> At least every couple of months still it crosses my mind to pick the phone up to call my mother, who passed on more than a decade ago. She was the go-to person for all manner of practical lifeskills.

<LOL> And she'd have known how many ducks or chickens or geese it'd take to make a pillow *or* a feather bed.

Soo... still a little confused on what my duckling Dusty will be. Any thoughts?

If you're one to be iffy about the idea of raising ducks for meat...stop reading here. I do not want to offend anyone.

My husband and I decided to raise a flock of meat ducks this last summer, and I decided to use their down and feathers for a comforter. I wanted to make sure to get as much as we could from these ducks' lives.

To anyone who wanted to know if you could use feathers from ducks as down for comforters and such...yes, you can. How do you do it? Well, I could not find any online source that would give me the whole process, so I wrote down and photographed the process as much as I could for future reference. I used this information in my blog for a few weeks, but instead of directing you to endless frou frou about knitting, I've converted the whole thing to a pdf. file.

I've posted the pdf form to google docs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzee85NJjrtbMXI5UGZCTGxBc0k/edit?usp=sharing

If you've got questions after reading that, ask me. We now have one duck down comforter and I will be making more. The one down comforter measuring 60" x 60" took the feathers + down of about 8 ducks. All in all, we butchered 26. And as you are all my witness, I will never. do. it. again. Next year, chickens.

-Brenda

Hi Brenda,
I am looking for someone to make me a comforter with the goose feathers I have from my grandma's polish comforter. It is ripped and the feathers are coming out. Is that something you can do? I have them in California.
Thank you,
Judith

@clmschke:
Sorry, I missed your video. They have taken it down. I would love to have seen how you put your quilt together.
I was looking on to see how many feathers it was going to take to make a nice duck feathered quilt. I have been picking up the feathers off the ground after the ducks do their molting and when they just flip their wings. I grab a bag and go out and start gathering them off the ground, out of their pool, and out of the coop. I usually will collect about 25 to 40 feathers a day. So, I have one gal size plastic bag full but not enough to make a pillow. I don't get all of them, cause my back starts to hurt and I have to stop. Been doing this for about a year now. Was wondering if I am supposed to use the large ones also? Do you cut off the tip of the feather? I have been collecting the feathers off the ground for about a year. I lost two ducks 2 years ago and I didn't think about saving their feathers for a quilt. The problem is I can't be the one to take the feathers off the ducks when they pass away, my ducks are pets. Thank you for the information you have supplied. So, after reading some of the other threads, I have found out how to wash the feathers. So, now all I got to do is find someone to boil and pluck the ducks when that time comes and sew me a bag so I can put my clean feathers in until I can get enough to make my quilt or/and pillows.

Back
Top Bottom