DIY or processor?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cozycritters, May 16, 2009.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    So, we're considering sending our birds to freezer camp-- only one goose and three ducks-- but we're up in the air about whether to do it ourselves, as we would with chickens, or to send them down to the University where they have slaughter services...

What is gained/lost by having a professional do it? I'm assuming that I won't be able to reserve the feathers, at least (from the goose)...

Are there any other losses? We've always just done our few roosters ourselves...

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Is there a reason you are considering the university to process them? Convience, or attatchment to the birds? The only difference I can really think of is price vs ease. You will be paying someone else to kill and butcher the birds for you, but on the other hand you are paying to not have to worry about doing it yourself. It will save you time. I guess in the end it comes down to: do you want to pay to have your birds killed and save time and effort or do you want to save the money and do it yourself?

3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I think it comes down to convenience. My MIL has been helping us with the chickens, since we're new to all of this, and she keeps telling my husband how hard it's going to be and that dry-plucking waterfowl is impossible, etc.

I AM incredibly attached to these guys, but it makes me want the whole thing to be less stressful for them-- so I basically feel they'd be better off with us doing the deed, so they don't have to go on a car ride etc. etc. with who knows what kind of handling on the other end.

And I do really want those feathers [​IMG] LOL! If I have to give up Toot, I at least want those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by