DIY PVC COOP

tiffany21

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Kalaheo, Hawaii
We searched and searched for an inexpensive chicken coop that could be shipped to Hawaii; we never found one. So, we had to get creative. We knew we wanted a tractor, one large enough to house 10-15 chickens and something that was durable, inexpensive and wouldn't rust or mold. So we came up with this. We used PVC pipes, zip ties, chicken fence, 5 gallon buckets and some spare roofing material. We even made a swing for the chickies but it's not pictured here. The girls seem to love it.

I can see you've put a lot of work into your coop and run. The size is good but....I'm sorry to say it doesn't look very predator proof. Chickens wire is not strong enough to keep out most predators. 1/2" hardware cloth is a stronger wire. Do you have anything to stop a digging predator? I would hate for you to lose your chickens.

This picture was taken on our game camera. Thank goodness our chickens were locked up safely in their coop.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your concern! We don't really have much for predators here on Kauai. We mainly have to watch out for feral cats & roosters & other birds. our biggest concern is with our Boston terrier who we can't tell wants to play with them or eat em! We will continue to keep our eyes alert to anyone or thing that might want to attack our chicks. Thanks again!!!
I can see you've put a lot of work into your coop and run. The size is good but....I'm sorry to say it doesn't look very predator proof. Chickens wire is not strong enough to keep out most predators. 1/2" hardware cloth is a stronger wire. Do you have anything to stop a digging predator? I would hate for you to lose your chickens. This picture was taken on our game camera. Thank goodness our chickens were locked up safely in their coop.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your concern! We don't really have much for predators here on Kauai. We mainly have to watch out for feral cats & roosters & other birds. our biggest concern is with our Boston terrier who we can't tell wants to play with them or eat em! We will continue to keep our eyes alert to anyone or thing that might want to attack our chicks. Thanks again!!!

Nice PVC coop for the hot weather island.

According to this old post, there are some ground predators in Hawaii, feral cats and Mongoose in particular. Better safe than sorry by adding a layer of 1/2" hardware cloth, then this tractor coop would be perfect!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/683495/predators-in-paradise

Tiffany21, I am sure you know your area and what lives there. It is hard for people to understand that we don't all have the same issues. For example where I am in Canada we have no snakes , bears or mongoose.
Funny thing though as we were deciding how to build our coop I saw a dead family of foxes on the side of the highway.......hadn't seen them before that but now I have chickens and they can smell that. I'd rather be safe than sorry .
This is off topic but can you post a picture of your Boston ? We lost ours after 12 year and I miss her, I'd love to see your baby!!

Kauai does not have mongoose. Kauai is the only island where native Nene Goose live (because there are no mongoose) and also has a huge wild chicken population, they are everywhere because there are no natural predators. Chickens on Kauai can be raised without a coop very easily. Dogs, cats and wild roosters would be the biggest threat. This girl's coop is awesome and it should be appreciated because it's absolutely perfect.

The problem with "social media" is that is is so easy to be anti social and judgemental with our words . Good job I love it !!

Back
Top Bottom