DIY Refillable Gutter Watering System

Lovemylilcluckers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Wenatchee WA
I live in Western Washington and have lots of rain water come Sept-June with very few true cold snaps where freezing will be an issue. We typically switch out waterers 2-3 times a day during that time where freezing is an issue. We have been having some issues with our 5 gallon bucket watering system not being level/not sealing properly and leaking out over the course of 24/48 hours for our 6 chickens.

We have a coop with a metal roof and are hoping to find a way to put a gutter system on the roof (right now it pours on my head as I collect eggs) and channel the rain water into a watering system AND find a way that will be easily refillable during summer.

Does anyone have anything similar that they could show pictures, plans or how it works? I've looked up stuff on Pinterest and Youtube and can't find really what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I'm in your boat! Metal roof, no guttering...yet! I've got some ideas in my head, but nothing positive yet. I also have a duck pool (it's a partially buried boat actually) that i would like to incorporate and feed with the runoff also.

Show us some pics, people!! :ya

Can you just get a rain barrel that has an overflow for when it gets full? It would not be hard to add your own water to it as well. Any rain barrel with a screened entry would work. Like this....
9164V0K3hoL._SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom