DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
Quote: I will I know they come in sets I can buy at harbor freight..... I need a good bench clamp to do it..... something that will let me go straight down.... for more stability. Or just bite the bullet and buy a drill press. I have a bunch of uses for one.

There is still the issue of the one pipe that has the half tap stuck in the hole.... I cant drill it out and if I could the hole would be too mangled so I will use the rubber insert. On the other end....

It would be soo nice to have my harness hung the proper way instead of on hooks in one big ball. Lets the leather dry after use and keeps the straps straight....

deb

I used what others have used. 3" PVC pipe with 45 degree connections seems to work well. I used a hole saw bit for door knobs. Less waste of food and less mess.
I really like these kinds of feeders.... How many pounds can you fill it with. I need to build one that can hold fifty pounds at a time. Long story short.... I can only feed once per week and I need a two week leeway in-case I have insurmountable issues with family or vehicles.

deb

I really like these kinds of feeders.... How many pounds can you fill it with.  I need to build one that can hold fifty pounds at a time.  Long story short.... I can only feed once per week and I need a two week leeway in-case I have insurmountable issues with family or vehicles.

deb 
since its 3" PVC its about 6' in length . I would have to say about 15 lbs of feed. I have 4 birds and I filled it up about a week ago and its not empty.

Depending on how many chickens you have you may have to go bigger in pipe dimension.

Quote: so for fifty pounds of feed I also could do Three six foot long pipes feeding into one feeder. Sort of like a chicken Minora.... LOL. I have to figure it out. I have three pens each one has ten or more. Plus I have lots and lots of interlopers.... birds mice squirrels Chipmonks....

It all may be academic though. I have to rehome my chickens due to finances.

deb

4" PVC feeder 4'-PVC 4"-Y 4" -test cap

Last edited:
Mine are like this and I love them!!! We've been using them for over a year and I have no complaints!
Hi PetRock....

How do you do with the one opening with many chickens? In the morning ALL the chicks run to the feeder and shove each other over for food and that chick feeder has about 6 or 7 holes for food access.

I think I have seen that you have answered that question before, but right now I have 26 chickens and can't imagine that one would be enough?

Hi PetRock....

How do you do with the one opening with many chickens? In the morning ALL the chicks run to the feeder and shove each other over for food and that chick feeder has about 6 or 7 holes for food access.

I think I have seen that you have answered that question before, but right now I have 26 chickens and can't imagine that one would be enough?
I have 4 of them and they worked fine even when I had over 30 chickens. I have 2 shorter ones up in the coop and 2 taller ones in the run. Of course, I let them backyard free range so most of them are off foraging while a few are eating from the feeders. I also feed them fermented feed or plain yogurt with feed or grains in the morning and sometimes the afternoon. I spread the FF out between 4 or 5 dog bowels so all of them can access the goodies! For my chicks in the inside and outside brooders, I use a regular chick feeder and/or a flatter container like a big, shallow dog bowl.

Back
Top Bottom