DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

We have really mild winters (deep south :) ) but should we get a few days of freeze come our way I have an aquarium water heater I have used by suspending it in the barrel (we have a 55 gal barrel system for the rabbits bowls).
We will be switching to rabbit cups next year so there's less bowl cleaning.

Last edited:
We used wire with tarp secured to it. The rains here can be as brutal as the sun so the tarp allows us to put "wings" on sides down to break sideways rain or wind if need be. These are our semi-permenent coops, both this new one and the hoop coop can be relocated fairly quickly should they need to be.
We shingled our permanent coop but preferred the tarps for water leakage issues along sides for new ones.

I should have realized that. I do the same (we do live in the same area). I have the tarp wings for summer, air goes through but not rain. I just put the tarps down to cover the sides today. Also put hay in the bunny houses so they can make nests.

Shoulda seen me trying to show the layers how to drink outta the cups, Bahahahaha
Hands n knees, tap-tap-tap...they'd drink but were scared of the cups so wouldn't tap the knob to fill cups. Doh.
After 20 minutes or so they got it lol

We have really mild winters (deep south
smile.png
) but should we get a few days of freeze come our way I have an aquarium water heater I have used by suspending it in the barrel (we have a 55 gal barrel system for the rabbits bowls).
We will be switching to rabbit cups next year so there's less bowl cleaning.

I used the cups on a bucket last year (not on pipes...right on the bucket). I LOVE those cups but the necks would freeze. I used an aquarium heater also. Water stayed fine in the bucket; in fact it was luke-warm. The little springs in the necks freeze. I wrote about it in and a friend put it on their blog as a post. If anyone is interested in reading, the cup drinker winter assessment article is here. And this is the original post about putting them on a bucket. (That will tell you all the reasons I LOVE them.)

Could you post a photo of what you mean by the rabbit cups?

Last edited:
I haven't ordered the rabbit cups yet. O have to go get the link, but same cup type only a bit wider and with metal rims & water triggers to prevent the destructor eating it lol
We have a buck that is relentless in making sure zero plastic is near him or he will shred it. Lol
I used the cups on a bucket last year (not on pipes...right on the bucket).  I LOVE those cups but the necks would freeze.  I used an aquarium heater also.  Water stayed fine in the bucket; in fact it was luke-warm.   The little springs in the necks freeze.  I wrote about it in and a friend put it on their blog as a post.  If anyone is interested in reading, the cup drinker winter assessment article is here.  And this is the original post about putting them on a bucket.   (That will tell you all the reasons I LOVE them.)

Could you post a photo of what you mean by the rabbit cups?

I haven't ordered the rabbit cups yet. O have to go get the link, but same cup type only a bit wider and with metal rims & water triggers to prevent the destructor eating it lol
We have a buck that is relentless in making sure zero plastic is near him or he will shred it. Lol
Quote:
caf.gif
for that link!

I couldn't find the link :/ its on his computer and there's a billion bookmarks!
He's getting them off eBay tho, ill ask when he's home today How the nipples will fill. We tried a few different auto water bowls but I have a doe that likes to sit in the water, bath then she chills :/ so we needed smaller cups than the norm.
They are actually small metal auto dog waters we will modify to have the bowl and nipple on the same waterer. We want them gravity fed through our rain water collection barrels, not garden hose fed as per instructions. But because the breeders are all bred we don't wanna stir up their rabbitry yet and stress them.
I can't get my breeder bucks to use the metal pin drinkers. I can only assume they were used to the ball waters or bowls. All of them like the bowls more but refilling so much is time consuming so by Spring we hope to do an auto system.

Here is a pic of what they look like
but in plastic-we had to search for metal lol the rabbits have shredded anything plastic that's within reach.

Perfect example KDK1...

The key to a good DIY is pictures and an explanation of how you did something.

Okay Debs55...Let's see your floors. :)

Yes. I would like to see too. I haven't started my coop yet & I'm looking for ideas to make it easy for me and my 8 year old grand-daughter.

Here is my ShetchUp design for my coop and run. Once I started building it I changed some of the things. I used what I had laying around and only had to buy the wire. It started out for 8 nesting boxes but I ended up with 6 nesting boxes.

Here is my ShetchUp design for my coop and run. Once I started building it I changed some of the things. I used what I had laying around and only had to buy the wire. It started out for 8 nesting boxes but I ended up with 6 nesting boxes.

Thank you for sharing this! We have been building hoop breeding coops using hog/cattle panels. My DH wants to try building one like yours instead of another hoop coop. I'll have to show him your design.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom